Warby Parker is looking for a Principal Counsel to join our close-knit Legal team, report to our Head of Legal, and own a variety of legal tasks. In this role, you’ll advise the Company on a broad range of corporate, securities, governance and commercial matters. You’ll also support the Head of Legal in overseeing the securities function and ensuring compliance with the securities laws.; provide counsel on best practices for the Company’s Board of Directors, corporate governance, and compliance program; and partner with business clients to draft and negotiate commercial contracts and advise on strategic and corporate transactions. We’ll count on you to be a top-notch multitasker and provide practical, clear, and concise advice to clients across the company. Sound like the job for you? Keep on reading!
What you’ll do:
- Provide day-to-day counseling and advice on corporate and securities law matters
- Work closely with the Finance, Investor Relations, and Communications teams on SEC reporting and disclosure issues, including quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and annual reports on Form 10-K
- Be responsible for the Company’s Section 16 reporting
- Draft the Company’s annual proxy statement and prepare for our annual shareholders meeting
- Advise on executive compensation and public company equity grant matters
- Support the Head of Legal in advising senior management and the Board of Directors on corporate governance and improving Board processes and practices, including the preparation of Board materials, minutes, and governance policy updates
- Manage the corporate governance of our subsidiary and affiliate entities
- Assist the Legal team in maintaining a best-in-class compliance program, including oversight of the Company’s insider trading policy and the administration of trading windows
- Advise on strategic initiatives and corporate transactions, including, among others, commercial partnerships, licensing, and financing transactions
- Aid in the review, drafting, and negotiation of a wide variety of complex commercial contracts
Who you are:
- An attorney with a JD and admission to a state bar (preferably New York)
- At least 5 years of relevant in-house and/or top-firm experience
- A clear, collaborative communicator with keen attention to detail and organizational prowess, comfortable providing practical advice to executive management
- Highly knowledgeable of corporate and securities law for public companies, especially when it comes to SEC and stock exchange compliance, as well as ‘34 Act reporting obligations
- A skillful drafter and issue-spotter, completely capable of assessing both legal and business risks
- Experienced with drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts and leading corporate transactions
- Knowledgeable of Section 16 reporting and insider trading compliance matters
- An eager, flexible learner who’s confident in handling tasks and answering questions you’ve never faced
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- Experience representing retail and/or emerging-growth companies, especially at a fast-paced public or late-stage private company
- A mix of law firm and in-house experience
Some benefits of working at Warby Parker for full-time employees:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Short-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Bereavement Support
- Education Reimbursement
- Free eyewear
- And more (just ask!)
Warby Parker requires all newly hired in-person or hybrid employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date. Warby Parker is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodation, as necessary with federal, state, or local law, to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated.
Warby Parker, in good faith, believes that the posted salary range is accurate for this role in New York City at the time of posting. Warby Parker may pay more or less than the posted range based on factors such as relevant experience and skills, qualifications and location, among others. This range may be modified in the future. In addition to base salary, this role is also eligible to receive an equity bonus as part of the total compensation package. Details and eligibility will be discussed during the application process.
New York City Pay Range
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We're constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact, and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale while doing good in the world, without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything you need for happier eyes at a price that leaves you with money in your pocket, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests, and you can meet us online, at our stores, or even in your home. Wherever and whenever you need it, we’re there to make exceptional vision care simple and accessible. (Delightful, too.)
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program.