Thinkific is a software platform that gives anyone, anywhere the ability to easily create, market, and sell their own online courses. We believe in impactful and innovative work: our team of 400+ Thinkers is building and expanding an incredible product that empowers creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn, grow, and succeed together. Join us to see how we’re building one of the best workplaces in Canadian tech!
We believe every candidate should have a fair, inclusive, and overall great experience when exploring a new role with Thinkific. That starts with outlining our hiring process so you know what to expect every step of the way—click here to learn more: https://thnk.cc/whattoexpect
Are you a payroll professional looking to put your experience to use, by finding ways to do things more efficiently while providing excellent customer service? We’re looking for a Payroll Specialist to join us at Thinkific.
As the part-time Payroll Specialist (10-15 hours) at Thinkific, you’ll be responsible for processing full cycle payroll, maintaining employee records, remitting tax payments, and reconciling payroll and related payroll taxes in Canada as well as overseeing international contractor payments. You will have the autonomy to find creative solutions, implement new processes, and continue to learn along the way. Reporting directly to the Controller, this will be a part-time position on a fast-paced team working closely with the Finance, People & Culture, and Operations teams to support Thinkers.
Your goal will be to process full cycle payroll twice a month in Rise. Here’s how you’ll accomplish this:
- Process critical payrolls tasks required for new hires, leaves, variable compensation, compensation changes, resignations, and terminations including submitting ROEs, vacation calculations, severance pay, and ad hoc payrolls as needed
- Process monthly payroll in Deel for international team members (contractors and EOR), including expense approvals
- Investigate and respond to payroll related inquiries professionally and in a timely manner
- File appropriate provincial workers compensation and health payments (WorkSafeBC and Employers Health tax paperwork)
- Oversee payroll remittances to relevant tax agencies (Canada and US) and ensure that tax disclosure requirements are met (T4, CRA remittances, etc)
- Seek opportunities to streamline and innovate work processes, informing stakeholders of risks and opportunities
The person we have in mind likely:
- Has 3-5 years of experience working in Canadian payroll processing and administration with a quickly growing company
- Is extremely well organized, accurate, and has superb attention-to-detail—they ensure that they cross all their T’s and dot all their I’s
- Knows how to multitask and work effectively in order to meet deadlines
- Has a strong sense of discretion and has been trusted with sensitive or personal information in the past
- Loves to learn and grow. They’ve found (and keep looking for) ways to level up their skills in this field, whether that’s through formal education, gaining professional experience, or maybe even building their own business
These things would also be nice, but we think you could learn them on the job:
- Knowledge of payroll processing in the United States
- Previous experience working with Rise
- Experience working cross-functionally in dynamic environments—you’re comfortable with changes that can come with growth
- See ambiguity as an opportunity to take on new challenges and thrive in grey areas
This is just our initial idea of who we’re looking for! At Thinkific, we know that people have unique career journeys. If your experience is close to what we’ve described but you feel that you might be missing a few of the requirements, please still apply! We’re also committed to providing a comfortable and accessible interview process for every candidate. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process (big or small), please let us know.