Who We Are
Reporting to the payroll manager, the payroll specialist is a full-time non-exempt employee who performs all duties associated with processing and transmitting Peet’s weekly payroll checks in-house in an accurate and timely manner and assists the Sr Payroll Specialist with biweekly payroll.
What You Will Do
- Manages the busy payroll inbox 2-3 times a week.
- Processes, logs, and distributes between 10-40 manual checks two times a week in-house.
- Researches paycheck and misc. payroll discrepancies.
- Internal communications.
- Point of contact for one of the subsidiary company’s timekeeping and general employee payroll questions.
- Backup during absences or when needed.
- Adhoc reporting and analysis.
- Assumes full responsibility for all tasks associated with processing weekly paychecks for exempt and non-exempt employees e.g. works directly with the subsidiaries to ensure timekeeping is accurate, importing and exporting data to and from the payroll system, validating hours, running audit reports and analyzing data, inputting adjustments, calculating pay, auditing checks, verifying final hours, earnings, deductions and taxes prior to transmitting the checks, submitting the direct deposit file to the bank, tax and positive pay files to Ceridian and bank. Runs, analyzes, and saves all general ledger reports, provides subsidiaries general ledger data.
- Assists payroll manager in maintaining the existing audit systems that are in place to help minimize processing errors and ensure labor law compliance.
- Runs, analyzes, and distributes various post payroll management reports as needed.
- Off cycle payrolls for subsidiaries.
- Point of contact for one of the subsidiary company’s timekeeping and general payroll processing questions.
- Subsidiaries biweekly payroll auditing.
- Full back-up for Sr. Payroll Specialist during absences.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the payroll leadership team.
Quarterly/Year End Responsibilities
- Assists when needed with Unclaimed Property.
- Assists with quarterly and year end reconciliations, W2 audits, and the W2 Inbox.
Who You Are
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with processing payroll using an in-house system (Workday/Kronos preferred)
- Union payroll experience preferred
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and a well-organized self-starter
- Strong attention to detail and prioritization skills
- Excellent customer service and follow-through
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Fully proficient with Word and Excel
- Strong math and analytical skills
Peet’s Home Office is a Hybrid worksite, which requires any Home Office employees to work onsite (Emeryville, CA) 3 days a week with the exception of any fully-remote role.
At Peet’s we hire the best people and are committed to supporting our employees and rewarding them for their work. The target annual base salary range for this position is $30/hr-$40hr. The actual base salary offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include, as applicable, the applicant’s qualifications for the position; years of relevant experience; specific and unique skills; level of education attained; certifications or other professional licenses held; other legitimate, non-discriminatory business factors specific to the position; and the geographic location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will perform the job. Peet’s offers a generous benefits package to full-time employees, which includes comprehensive health, dental and vision plans; a superior 401(k) plan, various paid time off programs; employee discount/perks; life insurance; disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; and an employee referral bonus program.