Cronos Group is an innovative global cannabinoid company with international production and distribution across five continents. Cronos Group is committed to building disruptive intellectual property by advancing cannabis research, technology and product development. With a passion to responsibly elevate the consumer experience, Cronos Group is building an iconic brand portfolio. Cronos Group’s portfolio includes PEACE NATURALS™, a global health and wellness platform, adult-use brand Spinach™, and two hemp-derived CBD brands, Lord Jones™ and Happy Dance™.
At Cronos Group, we hire talented people who thrive on solving difficult problems and give them the opportunity to hone new skills and approaches. If you want to play a part in shaping an innovative industry and help build a historically significant company, we want to meet you.
As a dedicated payroll professional, you will lead and own all payroll related processes for a multi-site organization. Operating on two systems and multiple payroll companies, you will be responsible for the biweekly payroll for 500 employees. With the support of the outsourcing partner, you will review, amend and approve the payroll while adhering to all financial controls under SOX compliance. Working alongside Human Resources, you will find a supportive network of team members dedicated to thinking creatively, believing in resiliency, and encouraging a solution-focused mindset.
What you’ll be doing:
- Own the biweekly payroll process for North America by acting as liaison between the business and third-party payroll providers
- Conduct reviews of all payroll registers in North America for adjustments that are entered by the third party and follow up on all necessary changes before providing final approval for processing
- Validate data during biweekly integrations from Workday to payroll systems and troubleshoot any payroll specific errors
- Ensures proper processing of payroll deductions for taxes, benefits, charitable contributions, and other deductions.
- Ensures proper processing of payroll earnings for hourly rates, salaries, commissions, bonuses or other compensation, paid leave and holidays
- Partner with HR team in monitoring of electronic time sheets prior to payroll processing deadlines
- Lead the state registration process for the US businesses, including state withholding, unemployment, and any local agencies
- Partner with the external agency supporting review of US state filings for 2022, obtain state log ins where required, review wage reports and filings for accuracy, and pay outstanding balances to the state agencies
- Review and distribute W-2’s, 1099’s, T2200's, T4 balancing and management and year-end summary processing prior to distribution to employee population
- Lead the transition from the existing payroll provider to a new solution ensuring data integrity, timeliness in deliverables, and management of POA documentation Partner with Accounting and Internal Audit for SOX compliance and control processes
- Support the Accounting and Financial Reporting team for all inquiries related to payroll and equity transitions Manage all government and WSIB/WCB/EHT reconciliations and online premium reporting
- Ownership of the accuracy and integrity of the payroll function within the North American business
You’ll need to have:
- Business or Finance degree, payroll certification or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years full cycle payroll experience, experience in US payroll is a strong asset
- Experience using HRIS/Payroll software, such as Workday or equivalent
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Federal and Provincial Tax Regulations and the Employment Standards Act
- Knowledge of US federal, state, and local payroll regulations, including payroll tax, reporting, and required filings
- Prior implementation experience is considered an asset
- Strong customer service skills; ability to build relationships with internal & external partners
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, specifically in the use of Excel for reporting and data analysis
- Professional, personable and service oriented person who ensures confidentiality at all times
- Ability to work effectively with deadlines
- Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
- Detail oriented and strong ability to follow-through
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.