We are looking for a dynamic and highly experienced Payroll professional with solid Ceridian Dayforce experience to join our Human Resources team. The ideal candidate has owned all payroll related processes in a high-volume and HCM systems driven environment. Reporting to the Manager, Compensation & Benefits and HR, the successful applicant will process payroll for 1000+ hourly and salaried employees, including union and non-union groups, and possesses multi-provincial payroll experience. In addition, the candidate will have a strong financial acumen to work closely with our finance team on payroll reporting, GL reconciliations and audits.
- Manage the bi-weekly full cycle payroll process for 1000+ employees using the Ceridian Dayforce HCM system, while maximizing efficiencies and ensuring data integrity
- Update payroll related records within the system, including taxation, deductions/earnings set-up, group benefits premiums, etc.
- Maintain various payroll schedules (maternity leave top-ups, salary continuance, STD payments, taxable benefits, etc.), prepare ROEs and other related tasks
- Audit employee time and attendance hours worked for calculating or coding errors, coordinate resolutions and approvals with approving supervisors, HR business partners and other stakeholders to ensure accuracy of hourly pay data
- Prepare payroll remittances to various third-party payees such as CRA, WSIB, wage garnishments, payroll taxes, group benefits premiums, union dues, etc.
- Reconcile statutory deductions and complete annual reports for CRA, CSST, EHT and WSIB, including reconciliations and issuance of year-end T4’s, T4A’s, and RL-1’s
- Perform all legislation changes while auditing risk to the company in reference to remittance thresholds such as WSIB and other statutory requirements
- Establish, monitor and maintain processes and controls for payroll related activities and systems
- Audit workflows and data for internal controls and consistency purposes, recommend solutions and implement best in class changes as required
- Provide professional advice and service to internal clients such as HR colleagues, finance, operations staff, employees, as well as external contacts such as Service Canada, CNESST, CRA, Sun Life and others
- Adhere to the terms of the Collective Agreement when dealing with unionized employees
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of payroll systems and keep abreast of legislative and regulatory changes impacting payroll
- Other duties and projects as required
- 5+ years senior level experience in handling high-volume and multi-province payrolls
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) designation is required
- Post-secondary education with a focus in Administration and or Accounting preferred
- Experience processing payroll in Ceridian Dayforce a must
- Experience with unionized and/or manufacturing hourly payroll environment is required
- Excellent computer skills are required, including advanced proficiency in Excel
- Solid comprehension and understanding of payroll/timekeeping practices, employment legislation, CRA regulations and accounting principles
- Ability to review and analyze technical and/or programmatic requirements and specifications
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills (French is an asset)
- Enthusiastic team leader with a customer service and process improvement mindset
- Highly organized with effective time management and decision-making skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity in dealing with personal information
COVID-19 Considerations: Protocols are in place at facility including, but not limited to, active screening before anyone is allowed on-site, mask/face shield/goggle use, social distancing, plexiglass barriers, cleaning protocols, and mandatory training and reporting.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: The health and safety of our employees and customers is a top priority for Gay Lea Foods and therefore applicants will only be considered who are fully vaccinated, subject to human rights considerations.