Payroll & Benefits Accountant
Cookies sells iconic cannabis, with roots that stretch back to garage grows in San Francisco, before the industry was an industry. Our breeders developed many of the world’s most famous strains, from GSC to Gary Payton, and we have flagship stores and infrastructure operating on multiple continents.
At Cookies your work will have a personal impact at truly global scale —in Los Angeles, Detroit, and Barcelona, the quality of our products affect our customers’ lives for the better. We know cannabis can be a force multiplier for equity, economic inclusion, diversity and community, and we are on a mission to bring that culture to the world.
Cookies, a globally recognized cannabis brand, is looking for a Payroll & Benefits Accountant. Cookies offers trendsetting cannabis products that start with our indoor and outdoor farms and end up on our Cookies dispensary’s retail shelves. Reporting to the Director of Accounting, the Payroll & Benefits Accountant will execute the payroll functions of the organization, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
- Manage and review bi-weekly and semi-monthly payrolls for accurate timely payment of employees.
- Ensure accurate deductions of benefits and taxes and reconciles benefits deductions to carriers and employee elections and IRS forms.
- Maintains payroll information and ensures timely accurate updates of records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles, and department/ division transfers.
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers’ compensation payments.
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests from employees and business stakeholders including HR, executives, Accounting Manager, and FP&A.
- Maintains payroll system reports and protocols, Performs administrative functions within the payroll system, maintains policies and procedures related to payroll and benefits processing.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of headcount, earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Prepares monthly journal entries for payroll and benefits accounts.
- Strategically plans for company payroll growth by designing and implementing systems to support activity and volume. Implement solutions including payroll and ERM systems.
- Manages and administers the company’s 401(k) plan including ensuring timely remittance of deductions, management of loan disbursements and payments, annual audit support.
- Supports annual workers’ compensation audit by providing timely information and supporting documents per auditor requests.
- Provides backup for benefits administration and reconciles all benefits accounts and service providers statements to amounts deducted and paid.
- Implements new payroll solutions and improvements to existing solutions.
- 2+ years of related experience processing and managing a payroll function in a high volume, public company environment.
- Retail payroll experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll and benefits programs and related taxation, ability to research new tax requirements and implement within systems.
- Experience with enterprise-wide ERM and payroll system implementation referred.
- Certified Equity Professional is a plus.
- Experience with Gusto is a plus.
- Experience with Quickbooks Online.
Benefits and Perks:
- Small tight-knit team with exposure to all aspects of accounting.
- Health, vision, and dental insurance for eligible employees.
- Mission-based company + entrepreneurial work environment.
- Employee discount, company events, concerts, festivals + much more.
Cookies is a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Looking for team members who are flexible, nimble, and know how to get stuff done. We are a fun, driven, entrepreneurial group focused on culture, community, and quality. We’re an equal opportunity employer on the lookout for top-notch talent who truly wants to help us change the world.
This is a full-time position with the ability to work remotely. Our team and company-operated retail locations are primarily located in California, and we are open to all applicants who are willing to work west coast business hours.
Come join our team!