Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams rely on Grammarly’s AI-enabled communication assistance to help them communicate confidently and achieve their goals. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category for individuals, enterprises, and developers with tailored service offerings: Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, Grammarly for Education, and Grammarly for Developers. All of this begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, Grammarly is looking for an experienced, driven, and forward-thinking Payroll Analyst to be a key member of the Finance team. This role will report to the Payroll Manager and support continued growth by improving process workflows through integrations and upgrading to the new systems. It’s an ideal position for a self-starter who is eager to contribute their expertise to a fast-growing, global company and is ready to adapt to constant change. The Payroll Analyst will have the opportunity to leverage an excellent core knowledge of payroll for multiple US states as well as for Grammary’s international offices.
As Grammarly grows quickly, our Finance team continues to make a significant impact on our business. We’re looking for an experienced and collaborative individual with a high level of attention to detail who can come aboard to help us streamline our payroll process.
- Within your first 30 days, you will get up to speed on Grammarly’s vision, strategy, team, and culture. You will take on full payroll functions, including overseeing and performing daily payroll department operations for worldwide payroll, managing workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed timely and accurately, and preparing and posting payroll journal entries. You will start to take over equity-related tasks from our contractor.
- By month three, you will manage new state payroll tax registrations and collaborate with the Tax team on payroll tax issues. You will start gaining trust from employees, begin developing business partnerships, and use data and analysis to identify opportunities to improve payroll effectiveness. You will own commission calculation.
- By month six, you will take ownership of the equity program and start building reporting structures for delivering high-quality data for internal use.
- By month nine, you will develop clear and concise communication to present thoughts, ideas, and recommendations to all levels of the company.
- Beyond your first year, you will participate in system implementations as needed, assist in other HR and tax department requests or projects, begin to identify areas for improvement, and work with the Payroll Manager to implement changes that will help the company scale.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a business-related concentration.
- Has at least 3 years of experience in processing multi-state payroll.
- Has at least 3-5 years of experience in payroll accounting, G/L, and posting entries.
- Has experience working in a fast-growing startup (SaaS preferred).
- Has strong knowledge of federal and state payroll withholdings.
- Can meet tight deadlines and prioritize competing workloads.
- Can communicate clearly and empathetically both face-to-face and in writing.
- Is able to respond to payroll inquiries with professionalism, kindness, and empathy.
- Has experience working with Workday Payroll and HCM (proficient users
- Has experience working with NetSuite and Shareworks (not required, but a plus).
- Has experience in commission and draw payments.
- Has experience with payroll compliance matters, such as tax withholding for international or multi-state jurisdictions (including Canada), garnishments, and key annual audits (worker’s compensation and external financial audits).
- Has extremely high attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options
- 401(k) and RRSP matching
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones, please refer to this page. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this position are outlined below by compensation zone and may be modified in the future.
Zone 1: $130,000 – $151,000/year (USD)
Zone 2: $117,000 – $136,000/year (USD)
Zone 3: $111,000 – $128,000/year (USD)
Zone 4: $104,000 – $121,000/year (USD)
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.