Come Build Your Career at Aecon!
As a Canadian leader in infrastructure development, Aecon is safely and sustainably building what matters for future generations to thrive! We lead some of the most impactful infrastructure projects of our generation, at the forefront of transformational change in transportation and energy, and partnering every day to build, connect, power, and strengthen our communities.
At Aecon, you can count on:
- Safety First. Our number one core value. If we can’t do it safely, we don’t do it at all.
- Integrity. We lead by example, with humility and courage.
- Accountability. We’re passionate about delivering on our commitments.
- Inclusion. We provide equitable opportunities for everyone.
We lead the infrastructure industry with purpose, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. So, we invest in our people, just like they invest in us!
At Aecon we:
- Ensure you and your family receive the services needed to support your mental, emotional, and physical well-being
- Believe in helping you build your career through our Aecon University and Leadership Programs
- Are committed to supporting and investing in inclusive work environments, through initiatives like Equity, Diversity & Inclusion training, our Aecon Women in Trades and Aecon Diversity in Trades programs, and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to ensure we are building inclusion into every aspect of our culture at Aecon.
- Are a leader in sustainable construction. With a strong commitment to operating responsibility by minimizing our impact on the environment and surrounding communities.
Our business success relies on strong execution and continuous improvement – driven by the diversity, expertise and teamwork of our people. We’re always searching the globe for innovative, collaborative minds to join our best-in-class Aecon community!
Safe. Trusted. Respected. Aecon Civil is a market leader with a self-perform competitive advantage and core local strength in key markets. We’re proud of our work helping to expand and improve Canada’s infrastructure and transportation networks, and we’re ready to build the future of our country. With over a century of experience, and the ability to offer diverse, comprehensive services, Aecon is a preferred contractor for our clients. This includes numerous public entities and Public-Private Partnerships in Canada and abroad.
Fraser Crossing Partners is the entity selected by the Province of British Columbia to design, build and partially finance the project, is a 50/50 joint venture between Aecon and Acciona. The new four-lane cable-stayed bridge over the Fraser River will provide network connections to New Westminster and Surrey, feature a center safety median barrier and wider lanes to accommodate both passenger and commercial vehicles, and have dedicated walking and cycling lanes. The project also includes the construction of connecting road infrastructure on the north and south sides of the bridge, grade separations on Highway 17, and the removal of the existing bridge once the new bridge is complete.
The Payroll Administrator/Office Administrator is responsible for providing the accurate, and timely entry of unionized craft employee timesheets along with day-to-day payroll administration. The incumbent will also be responsible for supporting the daily activities of the project office. This position will mainly work out of our Agnes St. office in New Westminster, BC with occasional site visits when required.
- Develop an understanding and familiarity with the CBA (Community Benefits Agreement) which includes wage classifications, union benefits and scenarios for worker entitlement to allowances.
- Utilizing and acting as one of the administrators to the electronic timecard software system (HeavyJob).
- Provide training to new foremen, superintendents and project engineers on HeavyJob including occasional troubleshooting where necessary.
- Coordinate timecard approvals/corrections with the superintendents and foremen.
- Accurate and timely submissions of daily timecards via the BCIB contractor portal.
- Receive and validate the daily payable time report.
- Crosscheck hours, premiums and allowances against the BCIB agreement.
- Coordinate new employee request forms and termination forms.
- Assist with validation of biweekly payroll invoices.
- Provision of accurate details for quarterly WorkSafeBC submittals.
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets for cost reconciliation
- Work alongside project and cost controls to generate labour / productivity reports.
- Participate in coordination meetings with ops team and BCIB.
- Act as an advisor to the project team on the collective agreement as it relates to payroll practices and optimization of shift schedules.
- Resolve payroll and invoicing discrepancies.
- Work closely with the Human Resources / Labour Relations and Finance teams.
- Build collaborative working relationships with all levels of the project team, client and other stakeholders.
- Participate in continuous improvement workshops.
- Support all internal and external audits related to payroll.
Office Administrator Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative and clerical support with speed and accuracy.
- Coordinate office administration matters (e.g. building maintenance, social events, etc.).
- Perform general clerical duties; photocopying, mailing, filing, couriers, maintaining stationery and IT inventory etc.
- Provide administrative support to various departments as needed. Such as assisting with setup of client and executive meetings, creating PowerPoint presentations and packages.
- Maintain the kitchen and reception area, ensuring it remains in order.
- Responsible for monthly credit card reconciliations.
- Prepare business expense reports for the Project Director.
- Arrange travel as required for the Project Director, liaise with external Travel Management provider, answer general inquiries.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Maintain office budget and assist with cost trends and cost forecasting.
- Basic level of IT knowledge will be involved such as work station setup, printer issue troubleshooting, updating of software for video-conferencing devices etc.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience with payroll administration, handling a large payroll headcount or equivalent experience will be considered.
- Experience working with various unions and reading and interpreting collective agreements.
- Knowledge of payroll principles, practices, and relevant legislation.
- Related post-secondary education and professional payroll work experience within a construction environment.
- Demonstrated computer software proficiency with Payroll software is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products, including MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel (intermediate level at minimum).
- Working knowledge of electronic timecard software (HeavyJob) is an asset,
- Excellent organizational skills in order to handle multiple deadlines and tasks within a high-pressure work environment.
- Results-driven attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Collaborative work style.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in a professional manner.
- Flexible to work on a construction project site when required.
- Detail orientated with in-depth knowledge and experience of payroll calculation and processing.
- Analytical skills with a proactive approach to identifying and solving problems.
- This position is not a hybrid WFH role.
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to adhering to the objectives and requirements outlined in the Accessible Canada Act (ACA), and to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, through the implementation of the requirements of the ACA and its applicable regulations. If you require accommodation under the ACA during any step of the application process please click here.