We are seeking an experienced Senior Legal Assistant to join the in-house Legal Services Team to support the Legal Affairs department. The incumbent will primarily support attorneys and professionals in the Public Company Unit for MetLife, Inc. The successful candidate will also support the work of other areas of Legal Affairs and the Legal Services Team initiatives. The Senior Legal Assistant will have experience working at a large law firm, corporation, or other organization and exhibit proficient knowledge and skills in matters relating to public company SEC disclosures and corporate governance with sharp attention to detail, strong legal acumen, and comfort with autonomy. Strong learning and working agility maintaining a high volume of work showcasing high level of initiative, confidentiality, good judgment, and collaboration are a must. Solid legal research skills and legal systems proficiencies are required.
- Assist with preparation, review and filing of SEC disclosure (including Form 8-K, Form 10-Q, Form 10-K, proxy statements and Section 16 filings), including review for clear presentation and conformity to legal requirements and attorney guidance, and maintenance of related records to support Section 16 ownership information.
- Maintain SharePoint site with Unit policies, procedures, records, schedules, and other information.
- Collect, draft, and analyze documents providing multifaceted information efficiently.
- Successfully coordinate, monitor, and manage progress on multiple deliverables with capability of anticipating issues and knowing when to escalate issues.
- Provide robust assistance to attorneys and stakeholders by participating in projects including participation in team huddles, events and meetings as required with attorneys and Legal Services teams.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 5+ years of paralegal experience in corporate law firm or similar role.
- Advanced technical skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-Docs, SharePoint, Outlook, Workshare Compare, Westlaw, Lexis, NAIC website, NILS, web-based applications, and legal systems, etc.). Experience with [W-Desk][Workiva] or other direct SEC filing application, and maintaining SEC EDGAR access codes, a plus.
- Perform proficient legal research with sound knowledge of legal concepts and ability to analyze facts.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills with the ability to translate complex business and legal concepts into clear and compelling text.
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, workload/project management and interpersonal skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility and ability to shifting demands working under tight deadlines and multiple detailed tasks.
- Takes ownership of deliverables, is accountable, and owns professional development by actively seeking out feedback, learning new skills and new systems quickly and teaching others as necessary.
- Must demonstrate ability to maintain confidential information sensitively and discreetly.
- Ability to manage a high-volume workload successfully with increasing demands and changes demonstrating agility, flexibility, composure, and adaptability.
- Ability to work independently with integrity and ethical professional judgment knowing when to escalate issues.
- Passion for process analysis and continuous improvement.
- Collaborate and maintain positive working relationships fostering a productive work environment.
- Continuously refine, develop, and expand skills in anticipation of changes in the work environment or profession.
- Bachelor’s degree or Paralegal degree or certificate.
- Notary public.
- Corporate governance experience.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
The wage range for applicants for this position is $59,600 - $79,400. This role is also eligible for annual short-term incentive compensation. MetLife offers a comprehensive benefits program, including healthcare benefits, life insurance, retirement benefits, parental leave, legal plan services and paid time off. All incentives and benefits are subject to the applicable plan terms.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.