Meaningful Work From Day One
Performs paralegal work for Associate General Counsel and Corporate Secretary in a fast-paced work environment. The Associate General Counsel supports Treasury, Tax, Accounting, Corporate Development, Executive Compensation and serves as the Securities Law Compliance Officer. The nature of the work includes managing multiple large-scale projects at any given time, while also managing cyclical and day-to-day work. Heavy workload, frequent interruptions, and short deadlines are common, requiring a need to prioritize and remain flexible, efficient, and focused. Serves as an important communications liaison between the Legal Department and other functional areas at Brown-Forman. Requires knowledge of corporate structure, corporate governance, operations, policies and procedures, technical skills, and an ability to follow instruction as well as taking initiative with little supervision and thinking independently. Much of the work is confidential, so discretion is required. Interacts with high-level personnel at Brown-Forman, as well as with outside lawyers and other advisors, requiring excellent communication skills. Produces frequent SEC filings reporting board and executive stock ownership. Prepares board and shareholder resolutions for Brown-Forman and domestic and international corporate subsidiaries, presentations, memos to the Associate General Counsel and internal clients, and correspondence.
What You Can Expect
- Perform research and make recommendations to the Associate General Counsel and provide advice to internal clients concerning Brown-Forman legal matters, under the direction of the Associate General Counsel.
- Field and document Brown-Forman securities transaction pre-clearance
- requests; prepare and file Section 16 reports with the SEC.
- Provide administrative support, including managing files, drafting of
- correspondence, preparation of documents, and Excel spreadsheets and
- Prepare meeting agendas, minutes and consent actions for Brown-Forman and affiliated companies and maintains corporate minute books.
- Prepare and distribute quarterly blackout notices; maintain lists of employees
- subject to blackout.
- Administratively assist with annual proxy filings; draft annual D&O
- Assist with M&A transactions (data room management; coordinate audio and
- video conference calls; develop and maintain working group lists).
- Assist various departments on large projects involving internal corporate
- restructuring or corporate finance.
- Perform research as needed: ex, statistics on corporate governance.
- Draft and maintain form documents.
We Are Looking For People Who
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in corporate paralegal position either in law firm or in-house legal department; Associates degree preferred.
- Computer proficiency with Windows software applications, including all programs in Microsoft Office.
- Critical thinking skills, with ability to identify and solve problems and successfully manage multi-faceted projects through completion.
- Ability to complete work effectively, efficiently and discreetly (maintaining strict confidentiality).
- Demonstrated professionalism, and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, including grammar and
- Proven ability to work on a team and to set priorities given competing projects. Must be able to plan, organize, work independently, and complete assignments promptly and with little oversight.
- Ability to execute responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner, despite
- frequent interruptions and changing deadlines.
- High level of interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime periodically on short notice
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.