At UL, we know why we come to work.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Paralegal at UL Standards and Engagement.
The Paralegal supports the legal function and matters including research, contracting, litigation, disputes and investigations. The role will provide support for the maintenance of corporate entities, including research, drafting corporate resolutions, organizing minute books, and maintaining and managing records.
The Paralegal is a member of UL Research Institutes and UL Standards & Engagement legal function reporting to the Associate General Counsel and will work closely with other attorneys and leaders of the two organizations: UL Research Institutes, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fundamental safety science research, and UL Standards & Engagement, a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to the development of safety standards.
UL Standards and Engagement:
At UL Standards and Engagement, we wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. Underwriters Laboratories stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely.
What you’ll learn & achieve:
As the Paralegal, you will play a key role in the rapid growth of UL Standards and Engagement as you:
- Support legal function and matters including research, contracting, litigation, disputes and investigations.
- Provide support for the maintenance of corporate entities, including research, drafting corporate resolutions, organizing minute books, and maintaining and managing records.
- Assist in research of local, state, federal laws and preparation and completion of filings.
- Research and support preparation of contracts, policies, procedures, legal opinions and others documents.
- Respond to requests for information, prepare and review documents to finalize for requisite signatures and notarization.
- Collaborate with attorneys and across functions to advance and resolve project, contractual, commercial, operational, compliance, and other matters.
- Support the preparation by attorneys of presentations and analyses.
- Participate in or lead special projects furthering corporate and operational plans.
- Maintain and organize collections of material pertaining to ongoing legal department projects.
What makes you a great fit:
The ideal candidate will bring several qualities to the team, including:
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal principles and practices, terminology, research techniques and communication.
- In depth knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Positive and collaborative interpersonal skills to work effectively with leaders and colleagues across the organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills to translate complex ideas and legal concepts with clarity and simplicity to other functions, leaders, and professionals.
- Approachable and collaborative style aligned with the culture of the organization.
- High degree of curiosity to learn about the mission and impact of the organization and its areas of specialization.
- Organization and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, delivering results among competing priorities.
- Attention to detail balanced with responsiveness and a sense of urgency, focusing on both process and outcomes.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to identify root causes, develop practical solutions, and work in collaboration with colleagues across the organization.
Professional education and experience requirements for the role include:
- Bachelors degree and relevant experience in related function. Paralegal certificate is desired.
- Experience in law firms and/or working with scientific research, academic or research institutions, and experience working with public policy, nonprofit, and/or mission driven organizations are desired.
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL Standards and Engagement, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 128 years and is deeply ingrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL Standards and Engagement employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL Standards and Engagement. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL Standards and Engagement are eligible for bonus compensation. UL Standards and Engagement offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL Standards and Engagement contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.