Opinions Social Media Editor
The Washington Post Opinions section is seeking a Washington, D.C.-based social media editor to help run its social media accounts and make our columns, editorials, guest opinions, cartoons and more shine on social platforms and reach new audiences.
The editor reports to the Opinions social assignment editor and is part of the broader Opinions Audience Strategy team.
- You are passionate about connecting journalism with audiences on social platforms.
- You like finding ways to make storytelling and arguments accessible to audiences who may not be traditional news consumers.
- You want to coach colleagues on effective ways to use social media to connect readers with their ideas and grow their followings.
- You understand the value of presenting audiences with a diversity of viewpoints on topics in the news.
- You like the idea of constantly evolving your strategies to conform to ever-changing trends and new inventions.
- Grow audience and engagement to our opinion journalism by programming Post Opinions’ Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts, packaging and elevating the most engaging journalism for each platform’s specific audience
- Help Opinions personalities elevate their work and engage new audiences by training them on social media best practices
- Ensure our biggest initiatives shine by creating and executing social plans for Opinions’ longform journalism and special projects
- Elevate our best Opinions journalism internally by coordinating with editors across the Opinions section and with those on The Post’s other social teams
- Attract new audiences by experimenting with new platforms, or ones where Opinions does not have a presence
- Grow Post Opinions’ existing social accounts over time by analyzing trends and updating best practices
- 2+ years of journalism experience
- Strong grasp of language and grammar and the ability to conform to style guidelines
- Understanding of the audience needs specific to different social media platforms
- Knowledge of industry trends around social media
- Preferred: Experience using social management tools such as SocialFlow
- Preferred: Comfort using analytics tools such as Chartbeat, Google Analytics and Facebook/Twitter/Instagram engagement metrics
Interested candidates should upload a résumé and a cover letter outlining the experience they would bring to the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but those received by 1/20/2023 will be prioritized. The cover letter should be addressed to Opinions Director of Operations and Strategy Becca Clemons and Opinions Social Assignment Editor Edgar Ramirez.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow?