Newsletter Program Manager
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a leading media voice in the South with a rich journalism history, seeks to amplify and expand the audience for our great journalism – from reporting, writing, and photojournalism, to data visualizations, audio storytelling, and compelling digital presentations that marry all the tools in our storytelling toolkit.
We are creating a dedicated newsletter team to deliver compelling products directly to readers’ inboxes and we need a motivated, creative, and disciplined leader with exceptional news judgment to shape our newsletter portfolio and drive results. This position will manage the strategy, editing, sending, and performance of the AJC’s newsletter portfolio. We’re looking for a journalist who is experienced with newsletters and is passionate about using them to build habit with audiences. This team will work collaboratively with folks across news, visuals, product and audience.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution serves a growing, vibrant and diverse metro area in one of the country’s most politically important states. If you believe in the power of professional journalism to shape a better society and more informed citizenry and want to join a team that is ensuring this mission lasts well into the future, please consider applying.
Please note this person must be based in Atlanta, GA.
In this position you will:
- Grow our newsletter portfolio to reach and retain audiences and gain subscribers
- Pro-actively monitor and evaluate audience data to drive newsletter product strategy
- Partner with news and content leaders to recruit the best voices for our newsletters and set expectations for voice based on the needs of our audience
- Refine our existing newsletters and launch new ones
- Help plan and execute engagement campaigns to grow our newsletter subscriber lists
- Partner with fellow email stakeholders to coordinate across subscriber touchpoints
- Coordinate and align members of various teams, including those you don’t directly manage, to ensure successful outcomes.
- Act as a key leader in our newsroom as we chart a course to a digital future, and drive innovation in how we use our voice in the community
- At least 5 years in digital news or content
- At least 2 years of experience in newsleters in any capacity
- Knowledge on the most recent trends in newsletters and digital readership trends
- Ability to nurture talent and identify key hires to accomplish company goals
- An ability to take and give constructive criticism
- Passion and belief in local, regional and statewide journalism and its role as a societal change agent
- Familiarity and experience in using audience metrics to drive tactical as well as strategic decisions on content production and resource allocation
- Experience in social media as a vehicle to drive traffic, increase reader engagement and build brand
- Demonstrable understanding of journalism standards and media ethics
Preferred Experience in one or more of the following:
- Newsletter writing, production, or strategy
- Social, interactive or digital media
- Product, design, or digital strategy
- Bachelor's degree preferably in journalism, product development, or related field.
- Additional years of direct experience (beyond the minimum requirement) in a similar role may be substituted for education.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.