Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, or Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly's hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków.
We believe this balanced, flexible approach gives our team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust, unlocks creativity, and further fuels innovation.
Grammarly team members in this role are required to live within a daily commutable distance to San Francisco. Grammarly may provide relocation assistance.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams rely on Grammarly’s AI-enabled communication assistance to help them communicate confidently and achieve their goals. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category for individuals, enterprises, and developers with tailored service offerings: Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, Grammarly for Education, and Grammarly for Developers. All of this begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Motion Designer to join our Brand Design team. The person in this role will work primarily with team members in the Design and Marketing organizations. This opportunity is for a designer who can adapt to our current processes and continue to raise the bar on creative excellence.
Grammarly’s Brand Design team is made up of Brand Visual Designers, Motion Designers, Brand Experience Designers, Brand Writers, Content Designers, Standards Editors, Technical Writers, and Design Operations — including Creative Producers. In the Product organization, the Design team (Brand Design, Product Design, and Human Insights Research) has the unique opportunity to define how people interact with our product and how our brand comes to life in every interaction and iteration. We are passionate about all things design, including typography, branding, and motion.
As a Motion Designer on our team, you will collaborate cross-functionally with many different teams across the organization. You will deliver on prioritized product initiatives and marketing campaigns where we can apply motion design and animation to highlight product features and help develop unique motion patterns. You will contribute to the Design leadership team’s vision of how we continue to define, shape, and grow Grammarly’s Brand Design system. You will focus on how motion design plays a significant part in building a dynamic brand identity system in its current state, as well as in its future state with a brand refresh. You will help ensure Grammarly’s brand continues to become one of the most design-first brands in the world.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver motion design work from start to finish, both autonomously and as part of a team, with a focus on brand, product, and web design.
- Develop storytelling through motion animations, such as product depictions and demos.
- Collaborate with other Design team members to maintain a cohesive, consistent experience wherever our brand comes to life.
- Ideate on creative experiments that will be tested for performance.
- Partner cross-functionally with colleagues who focus on campaigns, emails, websites, and product features.
- Help create motion design systems and processes that guide and streamline work.
- Report to our Brand Design Manager.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person in San Francisco 3 weeks per quarter.
- Has a minimum of 4 years’ experience as a designer on growing design teams.
- Has motion skills (Lottie animations) and foundational skills in visual brand design (typography, color, composition, and illustration).
- Can develop storytelling through motion, from storyboarding animations to completion.
- Has solid written and verbal communication skills to encourage alignment across functions and departments.
- Is excited about working with ambiguity.
- Approaches the design process without ego and with a learning mindset.
- Focuses relentlessly on our customers’ needs and proactively finds ways to add delight to any experience with motion and animation.
- Has experience creating motion design systems and processes that guide and streamline work.
- Can give and recieve design feedback.
- Has skills in Figma, AfterEffects, other core Adobe Creative Cloud apps (AI, INDD, PSD), and, as a bonus, HTML and CSS.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing excellent health care (including mental health and fertility benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, caregiver and pet care stipends, wellness stipends, 401(k) matching (US only), admission discounts, learning and development opportunities, and more.
- For San Francisco–based employment: Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, meaning pay may vary depending on your location. Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our compensation packages include equity; a wide range of medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance options; retirement benefits; and parental leave. We offer twenty days of paid time off per year (global), eleven days of paid holidays per year (US and Canada), and unlimited sick days (global).
The expected salary range for this position is outlined below by compensation zone and may be modified in the future.
Zone 1: $94,000 – $142,000/year (USD)
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the US Federal E-Verify program.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.