Marketing Operations Manager
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
The Marketing Operations Manager will be a crucial contributor to our commercial marketing planning processes. This role encompasses various responsibilities, including managing vendor relationships, streamlining procurement procedures, and identifying potential areas of improvement.
The Operations Manager will also oversee spend and variance tracking, support budget reviews, and actively participate in annual planning initiatives. Additionally, they will play a role in developing and measuring marketing metrics aligned with strategy execution, as well as creating informative scorecards. Building executive presentations using strong presentation development skills and the ability to convert complex data into compelling visuals will be another essential aspect of this position.
What you'll do
- Oversee the commercial marketing budget, collaborating with the business to track and report on spend, comparing actuals to forecasts, and identifying any variances.
- Identify friction points contributing to budget variances, lead the team in finding solutions, and drive process improvements.
- Streamline and operationalize marketing procurement processes and vendor management.
- Ensure sound financial management practices and implement best practices across the marketing team.
- Track spend for specific marketing programs, along with associated metrics and outcomes.
- Collaborate with finance and data science teams to automate spend and marketing performance tracking.
- Prepare presentations for quarterly budget reviews.
- Support resource allocation and management processes.
- Contribute to the development of marketing metrics and OKRs, working alongside the business to establish and maintain strategy execution scorecards.
- Generate key insights to assist the marketing leadership team in goal setting, program prioritization, investment decisions, and enhancing marketing efficiencies.
- Must have ~5+ years’ experience in strategic planning.
- A good grasp of financial management and understanding financial planning systems and processes.
- Ability to coordinate budget estimates, manage variances between actuals and forecasts, and produce relevant reports and presentations.
- Skill in translating complex financial data into compelling visuals and presentations.
- Experience in managing relationships with large marketing agencies.
- Good comprehension of the marketing funnel and Familiarity with the OKR framework.
- Previous experience working in a global setting and the ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Excellent communication, engagement, and consensus-building skills.
- Capable of identifying key decision-makers and effectively communicating with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups.
- Willingness to take ownership of tactical and strategic decisions, while being able to explain the reasoning behind those decisions.
- Demonstrated ability in creative problem-solving and maintaining a positive attitude amidst ambiguity. Adaptability to changing approaches, situations, and priorities is essential. Leveraging experience and judgement to achieve optimal outcomes is crucial.
It would be nice if you also had:
- A background in management consulting.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now.