Cotopaxi is a carbon neutral outdoor gear brand founded to create sustainably designed products that fight extreme poverty, inspire adventure, and move people to do good. As a certified B Corporation, we believe in using the power of business as a force for social, environmental, and economic good. Our creed, Gear for Good, touches every aspect of our company. Cotopaxi is committed to making all of our gear using repurposed, recycled, or responsible materials by 2025. We allocate 1% of our annual revenue to the Cotopaxi Foundation which awards grants to outstanding nonprofit partners carefully selected for their track records at improving the human condition and alleviating poverty. In 2021, we aided over 1 million people in extreme poverty through targeted grants to outstanding organizations with proven methodologies.
We value people, impact, and adventure and our work environment reflects just that. Whether you are working from one of our retail stores, our headquarters, your couch at home, or even your van in the middle of the woods, you’ll feel the camaraderie of our amazing team of visionaries, builders and go-getters. We work hard and we play hard. We are a team of outdoorsy, mission-driven people looking to prove that business CAN be a force for good. So, if you join our team, you’ll be a part of something bigger than the bottom line!
What You’ll Do (Job Overview):
Hey Colorado, Cotopaxi is looking for a Marketing Intern from DU!
Here at Cotopaxi we value building relationships and look to create an environment that welcomes people from all backgrounds no matter what their connection and experience is with the outdoors. People are always at the core of what we do and in this internship they/she/he will be the local lifeline between Cotopaxi and University of Denver.
We officially call this role a Campus Connector because everything you do involves connection. How do we connect Cotopaxi to university clubs? To student organizations? To classrooms, events, and students at large? Whether it’s a strategic sponsorship of the Adventure Program, a thoughtful panel on sustainability, or a guerrilla gear giveaway on campus, you’ll decide the best way to foster brand awareness and engagement between Cotopaxi, and the students and faculty at University of Denver.
It’s one thing to learn about marketing strategy in your studies, so with this internship you will have IRL experiences making real marketing decisions with the heft of Cotopaxi backing you up. We have a proven playbook from other campuses that outlines a variety of marketing strategies including promotions, activations, social media, PR, events, Questival best practices, and experiential marketing. You’ll have the full support and mentorship of our team at HQ, fellow Campus Connectors, as well as the retail store nearby; but this is your chance to build something that’s uniquely yours. When it’s all said and done, we want you to walk away with a résumé that lands your dream job!
This role reports to the Community Engagement Director and will work together with the local Community Engagement Manager and other Campus Connectors as they/she/he continues to develop our relationship with University of Denver.
How You’ll Do It (Job Responsibilities):
The Experiences We Look to Create:
- Establish relationships with clubs and organizations on campus by connecting with club chairs and faculty.
- Figure out where Cotopaxi needs to have a presence, and get us in the door: outdoor activities, social media posts, gear drops & donations, speaking events, presentations, fairs, festivals, and parties.
- Get out, shake hands, and work the crowds - you’re in the field repping the brand often.
- Decide who needs our product and get it in their hands; smart product seeding should help raise awareness of the brand and the local retail store. People love gear. You have it. You will be very popular.
- Live and inspire the Cotopaxi culture and values of people, impact and adventure. Educate others on products, experiences, local highlights and most importantly, Cotopaxi’s mission.
Operations and Expectations:
- Make a marketing plan that’s right for University of Denver; have a vision, set goals, then make it happen.
- Rockstar with numbers. Manage your allotted budget and track expenses to maximize effective expenditures.
- Work with the Community team and the local retail store to support their marketing efforts.
- Coordinate with the creative department for marketing materials for the promotions and events.
- It takes a team! Rally volunteers to help you execute your plan and coordinate their support at events and weekly team meetings.
- Build a stellar email list! Leverage it to drive engagement to your events.
- Distribute promotional materials on campus for new store openings, events, other brand-related campaigns.
- With guidance and support from your Community team, plan and carry out a Questival adventure race on campus. From finding a campus sponsor, marketing the event, driving signups, planning a kickoff event, and managing the event day logistics. You will own the success of this unforgettable event!
- Flexibility is key - you are adaptable and willing to work outside of normal office hours.
- You don’t mind being on your feet and can relatively lift 50lbs.
Experiences to Highlight (What You Need to Succeed):
Who You Are:
- A self-starter. You see an opportunity and you jump.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Looks at problem solving optimistically and creatively - an out-of-the box thinker.
- A people person. Good at gab. You know the kind.
- Active, energetic, and enthusiastic.
- Is a team player, but also an all-star at what you do yourself. Takes direction and runs with it.
- Outdoors lover. You know your way around a trail, campground, beach, bike path, or rock wall.
- An explorer, seeker, and someone who’s rarely home on a Friday night.
- A humanitarian at heart, and someone who believes in our Do Good mission.
- Must be enrolled as a student at University of Denver to qualify for this internship.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in marketing or business-related field is preferred, but not necessary - show us how your time on campus, your experiences, and degree can benefit the Cotopaxi Community Team!
- Involved in campus clubs and/or associations. You know people. People know you.
- 1 - 2 years of experience in event planning and execution.
- Understands how your marketing efforts support long-term sales objectives.
- Retail and/or outdoor industry experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Perks (Job Benefits):
We deeply care about our employees and are proud of our commitment and investment in our team. We prioritize wages and benefits and always keep the employee experience in mind as we work to create a quality work-life balance for everyone.
This internship is $17.29/hour and will be from the Fall to Spring quarter (September, 2023 - June, 2024).
Here is a snapshot of the benefits we provide:
- This is a paid marketing internship.
- A Cotopaxi swag package to start you off!
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- 60% off Cotopaxi products.
- Discounts for your friends and family too!
- Additional exclusive deals across most outdoor industry brands.
- A fun, caring and empowering company culture!
As a mission-driven brand, Cotopaxi is not only hyper aware of but also deeply invested in putting people first and paving the way as a humanitarian brand. We welcome, embrace and celebrate all people regardless of gender, age, race, disability, nationality, ethnicity, faith, or sexual orientation. We believe in Doing Good, and how we’re involved with that has no limits.
No matter what experience you have within the outdoor industry we encourage you to apply. At Cotopaxi we believe that experience comes from a variety of places. We look for individuals who thrive on challenges, are passionate about doing good, and believe that collaboration and radical candor are necessary for success. Show us how your experiences have shaped you and how you can contribute to Cotopaxi in our mission to Do Good. We can’t wait for you to share with us your personal story!