Reporting to our Head of Marketing & Sales, the Marketing Director puts you in the driver’s seat to build brand strategy, innovation pipeline, go to market actions to make Boxhot, Debunk, Floresense and Boondocks the top leading brands in the cannabis industry.
This role requires a dynamic, collaborative and experienced Marketing Director with commercial acumen, project management, brand & trade foundations and a strong analytical and innovation background who can balance strategic thinking against key execution priorities.
Innovation pipeline – Initiates & leads the development of the Vapes, Pre-Rolls, Concentrate and Flower categories innovation pipeline in collaboration with the cross-functional team including idea generation, preparation of business plans, P&L management and post-launch audits.
- Owns innovation “proof of concept” to drive growth for the brands.
- Develop a near-term innovation funnel in collaboration with the cross-functional team.
Strategic Planning through to Brand Activation: Create, gain alignment on and deliver a 1-year brand strategy, analyzing category opportunities, pricing, identifying key consumer targets, innovation opportunities and activation strategies. Execute the brand strategy in the market in collaboration with the Trade Marketing team, and measure and evaluate the impact.
- Marketing Calendar execution and collaboration with Trade and Sales.
- Brand Planning process.
- Innovation pipeline.
- Communication strategy.
- Ensures all brand programs aspect are consistent with brand foundations.
- Ensures all projects are executed on time.
Trade Marketing Planning: Develop & execute best-in-class trade strategy, programming and support tools that align with marketing objectives to help drive sales in the Retail, E-commerce and KA channels:
- Build & develop holistic Omni-marketing strategies for retailers across Canada that find a win-win strategy to achieve retailers’ goals and business goals.
- Owns the planning and execution of customers initiatives
- Create consumer-facing tools to support the marketing and sales team such as retail tools, displays, etc.
- Work closely with the customer digital media team to identify opportunities to drive awareness with consumers in-store.
- Cultivate programs that ensure products sell in-store.
- Management of buyers for trade materials and depletion with the sales analysis.
- ROI analysis of trade tools and performance tracking.
Analysis and Reporting: Lead the analysis and reporting of pricing, market segmentation, competitor, below-the-line results, SKU optimization channel and portfolio strategy. Identifies salient business issues/opportunities collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Responsible for measuring and monitoring the brand performance on-going.
- Recommend action plans and course-correcting when consumers, competition and the external environment change.
Research: Drives the identification of consumer research objectives and consumer person, uses appropriate tools, interprets and ensures marketing programs/expenditures meet KPIs. Monitor product distribution and consumer reactions.
- Monitors the competitive environment and translates knowledge into brand plans.
- Innovation forecasting.
- Brand performance.
- Price Strategy.
- Insight-based innovation.
- Proof of concept
Media/Social/Communication Planning: Supports media & social plan development, including medium/mix analysis, marketing plan optimization, and creative briefing initiatives.
- Development of integrated campaigns.
- Media and social planning.
- Develop briefs.
- Share communications and results.
Financial Management: Oversees budgets across brand
Collaboration & Integration: Lead cross-functional and partner working teams which include but are not limited to the internal creative team, specialty agencies, sales, R&D and other business departments fostering and building a strong multi-functional team. Collaboration, alignment, and influence with multiple stakeholders are key to success
- Entrepreneurial Mindset: Develop, deliver and iterate plans continuously with a resourceful, obsessive and fearless mindset with a focus on proving the case for brand expansion.
- Agile: Results-orientation and ability to operate with agility to run with, test and learn approach
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree – preferably in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. Master’s in business (MBA) or marketing a plus.
- Experience / Background: At least +7 years of Marketing & Trade experience.
- Experience in CPG, alcohol, cannabis, tobacco and/or pharmaceuticals will be an asset.
- Strong leadership, relationship management and influence skills
- Strong financial / business acumen
- Strong digital acumen with a focus on influencers, and social media.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as an outstanding aptitude for time management
- Solid experience in portfolio strategy/brand development, including brand positioning and brand launch activities
- Proficiency in MS Office with emphasis on Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
NOTE: All candidates are required to pass a criminal background check and provide a copy for employment at Motif. We thank all interested candidates. Only those whom we have selected for an interview will be contacted.