Who We Are
Collaborative. Respectful. A place to dream and do. These are just a few words that describe what life is like at Toyota. As one of the world’s most admired brands, Toyota is growing and leading the future of mobility through innovative, high-quality solutions designed to enhance lives and delight those we serve. We’re looking for diverse, talented team members who want to Dream. Do. Grow. with us.
Who We’re Looking For
Toyota’s Legal Department (TL1), Regulatory Group, is looking for a passionate and highly motivated Managing Counsel – Environmental, Health and Safety.
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel - Regulatory, the person in this role will be responsible for providing sophisticated, best in class legal advice to all levels of the organization on a wide scope of legal, regulatory, and reputational environmental, health & safety (EHS) matters, with a focus on health and safety matters.
What You’ll Be Doing
• Primary legal advice regarding a wide range of health and safety regulatory, compliance and policy issues, including auditing, incident response and government reporting.
• Advise generally on EHS legal, regulatory and policy issues, including current and emerging legal and regulatory requirements and best practices, risk assessment and management, incident response, and government reporting, with a focus on health and safety requirements. Draw upon significant years of legal experience and training to understand and interpret legal requirements, best practices, and standards, and follow new and emerging legal and regulatory trends.
• Ensure that the company’s EHS compliance programs are consistent with applicable OSHA, EPA, CARB, DOT, and other federal and state legal and regulatory requirements, best practices, and standards. Responsible for continued development and implementation of these compliance programs and policies, including proactive training.
• Participate in and provide advice/support to litigation and investigation response teams on EHS matters.
• Select, retain, and manage outside counsel, consultant/experts, and relevant professionals.
• Provide advice regarding internal and external communications on EHS matters.
• Take the initiative to learn and understand the organization’s business and core principles deeply, and work collaboratively across the organization to support business goals.
• Advise in other regulatory areas and manage other litigation as appropriate based on expertise.
What You Bring
• 10+ years of experience as an attorney, preferably at a major law firm, corporation, and/or government agency, with significant subject matter expertise counseling and defending clients on complex health & safety legal and regulatory compliance, reporting, auditing and enforcement matters.
• Experience with environmental laws related to real estate, facilities, stationary and mobile sources, incident response, hazardous materials and chemicals management, and environmental sustainability.
• Demonstrated ability to use your expertise, experience, and judgment to weigh, determine and provide the appropriate legal advice; to earn the clients’ confidence as a trusted advisor; and to resolve conflict and influence positive actions across the organization.
• Significant experience with:
- OSHA, DOT Hazmat, chemical management, and other health and safety regulatory schemes.
- Development, implementation, and auditing of EHS compliance programs and policies.
- Litigation/government investigations and crisis management, including retention and management of outside counsel/experts, and experience working with technology clients and engineers.
• Law degree from an accredited law school.
• Active membership in good standing in the bar of at least one U.S. state/jurisdiction.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability and willingness to travel 15% of the time.
Added Bonus If You Have
• Targeted experience in a health and safety role with a regulatory agency or otherwise.
• EHS policy and/or trade association experience.
• Experience in the automotive industry or other regulated industry.
What We’ll Bring
During your interview process, our team can fill you in on all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
• A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
• Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
• Vehicle purchase & lease programs
• Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
• Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
• Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute
• Paid holidays and paid time off
• Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, childcare, schools and more
• Flexible spending accounts
• Relocation assistance (if applicable)
Belonging At Toyota
Our success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. Respect for all is our North Star. Toyota is proud to have 10+ different Business Partnering Groups across 100 different North American chapter locations that support team members’ efforts to dream, do and grow without questioning that they belong. As a company that has been one of DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity and a member of The Billion Dollar Roundtable supporting minority and woman-owned suppliers for over 10 years, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business.
Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics.
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our careers page on Toyota.com
To save time applying, Toyota does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas or any other work authorization for this position at this time.