The People of Southwest Airlines come together to deliver on our Purpose, which is to connect People to what’s important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. This Manager Technology invests in the future of Southwest’s People in their Leadership of the Technical Operations (Tech Ops) Technology Team. Tech Ops is Southwest’s Maintenance Operations, Planning & Performance, and Engineering & Programs Teams, and this Leader will support products and applications that support these Teams – with a particular focus on Maintenix. This Manager’s Team supports Maintenix and its integrations in pre-productions and production environments, which includes the development, deployment, operation, and site reliability engineering. This Manager Technology is passionate about connecting with and developing our People, and they’re a champion of innovation and continuous improvement. They’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow in their expertise and Leadership each day and drive the future of Southwest Airlines.
- This role is offered as a regional workplace position and Employees must work in the region they support. This could require working from a mix of on-site Company facilities and remote based offices to perform the job function in a regional location determined by business need. Each Department will provide Employees with guidance on when and where presence is required with as much notice as reasonably possible.
- Please note, while this is a regional position, there is limited group of states or localities ineligible for Employees to regularly perform their work off-site. Those ineligible locations are: Alaska, Delaware, New Jersey, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We continue to look for opportunities to reflect the communities we serve, and welcome applicants with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Provide a People focused approach to Technology Leadership. Apply department/enterprise business knowledge to ensure value alignment. Accountable for the delivery and support of solutions and services that are technically and functionally solid, well integrated, comply with technical strategy, and meet or exceed Customer requirements.
Model the Southwest Way
- Guide and lead team members using SWA talent management practices to coach, develop, and engage employees
- Adhere to Company values and competencies to foster a culture of inclusion, recognition, and support of a safe work environment
- Invest in leadership and self-growth through participating in continuous learning and development
- Lead, support, and influence the achievement of the mission, goals and objectives of the department and organization
- Participate fully in organizational processes and initiatives, i.e. performance management, interviewing, budgeting, training, etc.
- Lead the resolution of organization, team and individual issues, making appropriate decision
- Develop and execute strategies and processes to improve performance and the value of products and services provided
- Lead cross-functional Teams to deliver solutions and services to meet enterprise needs
- Provide Technical thought Leadership related to assigned functional areas
- Deliver technology solutions using best practices to achieve maximum Team productivity while delivering high quality products
- Stay abreast of emerging trends, processes, and solutions related to assigned responsibilities
- Build strong, collaborative relationships and credibility while influencing and driving change across respective Business and Technology Teams
- Work with Technology and business partners to measure financial benefits and demonstrable business value
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of business/Leadership principals, including planning, organizing, directing, developing, and supervising
- Knowledge of personnel practices and regulations
- Knowledge of software development practices, concepts, methodologies, tools and trends
- Proficient knowledge of project management methodologies
- Skilled in excellent partnering, negotiation and communication in order to facilitate interactions with business Customers and technology teams
- Ability to provide tactical leadership for Team(s)
- Ability to use appropriate motivation and influence techniques to achieve desired Team results
- Ability to set and manage stakeholder expectations
- Ability to deliver quality projects on time and within budget
- Ability to manage projects using the organization's project management methodology
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field and/or equivalent formal training
- Required: Demonstrated experience in directly or indirectly leading team(s)
Required: Fully functioning, broad knowledge in:
- A Business and/or Information Technology environment
- Leading teams and providing work direction
- Preferred: Familiarity with relevant tech stack – Java, Oracle 19c, Restful and Micro-Web Services, JMS, Kafka, XML, JSON, Spring, Web Security and OWASP Principles, test automation, GitLab
- Preferred: Experience with DevOps tools, site reliability engineering concepts, automated resolutions to production indicents, and performance engineering
- Preferred: Knowledge of AppDynamics or equivalent monitoring tool
- Ability to perform work duties from [limited space work station/desk/office area] for extended periods of time
- Ability to communicate and interact with others in the English language to meet the demands of the job
- Ability to use a computer and other office productivity tools with sufficient speed and accuracy to meet the demands of the job
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must meet confidentiality expectations as to confidential, proprietary and sensitive Company information
- Air travel with frequent overnight stays required
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
Benefits you’ll love:
- Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights—your eligible dependents too.
- Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, per paycheck.**
- Potential for annual ProfitSharing contribution toward retirement - when Southwest profits, you profit.***
- Explore more Benefits you’ll love: swa.is/benefits
401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan’s vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits
ProfitSharing contributions are subject to plan’s vesting schedule and are made at the discretion of the Company
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save this job description because it won't be available after you apply.