The Estée Lauder Companies adopted an ambitious Global Citizenship and Sustainability (GCCS) strategy aiming to fully integrate sustainability into company functions and drive top line growth. The GCCS team is responsible for overseeing and executing this strategy which includes overseeing sustainability issues such as stakeholder engagement, non-financial reporting, brand engagement, operations: energy & emissions and social investments. The team also facilitates and supports the execution of sustainability goals implemented by other departments/functions.
The company seeks a Manager, Sustainability, supporting the execution of the climate and energy strategy including delivering against the company’s goals across and Science-Based Targets. The Manager will play a key role in developing and implementing the company’s supplier engagement strategy and overseeing ELC’s CDP responses.
- Manage key programs to enable the achievement of our Science Based Target, including leading ELC’s Supplier Engagement strategy, in close collaboration with other ELC teams.
- Serve as ELC’s lead relationship manager with the critical sustainability rating organization, CDP, monitoring new developments and assuring the corporation is prepared to address, coordinating reporting on climate, water and forestry. Bring proactive leadership to enable ELC to achieve the highest possible ratings.
- Oversee project management for the Climate team, maintaining a project tracker and organizing team meetings.
- Support climate-related projects and claims for other ELC teams, such as Online’s Carbon Neutral Shipping program and brand climate claims.
- Develop presentations for leadership and cross-functional meetings.
- Take on a leadership role with one of our brands being the main liaison with the sustainability team and enabling the brand to lead in sustainability, develop claims and stay ahead of trends.
- Monitor, report and advise on current trends in Climate and Energy to ensure that ELC as an enterprise stays ahead of emerging issues and maintains our leadership position in Climate.
- Participate on teams that manage key workstreams such as waste reduction, water stewardship, green buildings, greenhouse gas emissions and supply chain sustainability.
- Support additional external reporting and communications efforts, including responding to ESG Rater and Ranker questionnaires and project managing ELC’s Climate Transition Report.
- Oversee carbon offset and renewable electricity procurement annually, ensuring ELC’s ability to deliver on goals.
- Manage ELC’s external climate engagements, such as Climate Week NYC and COP27.
- Serve as the climate liaison with the Communications team, providing strategic advice, and reviewing and editing all climate-related communications materials.
- Partner with the ELC Charitable Foundation on environmental grants.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree a plus
- 4 years of relevant professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm, NGO working with business, or a CSR/sustainability, corporate affairs or similar role in the private sector
- Experience working in a multi-branded retail company or other industry with high-profile consumer brands a plus
- Excellent project management skills and experience working on multiple, disparate projects simultaneously
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for high-level interaction with other functions and brands
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to conduct extensive research, and to analyze, synthesize and make meaning of data
- Fluent in both written and conversational English; fluency in a second language an advantage
- High ethical standards and commitment to core values of leadership, respect and integrity
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint