Manager, Product Sustainability
TapestryNew York, NY, US7 days ago
Primary Purpose: Tapestry’s 2025 Corporate Responsibility strategy, Our Social Fabric, unites teams across our businesses to meet our 2025 Corporate Responsibility Goals and a shared objective: to create a modern luxury company of the future that balances fashion authority with meaningful, positive change. The Manager, Product Sustainability will lead Tapestry’s projects and operations to increase adoption of environmental preferred and new innovative materials across our product offering and throughout our supply chain. The role will support Tapestry’s efforts around circularity, helping Tapestry brands to create products that design out waste and pollution, keep products and materials in use, and that regenerate natural systems.
The successful individual will leverage their proficiency in Product and Material Sustainability to...
- Partner with key business units/leaders to develop strategy, set targets and adopt environmentally preferred raw materials
- Partner with legal to manage the voluntary environmental marketing claims substantiation process across all brands with a focus on clear and substantiated claims
- Educate internal teams (design, merch., supply chain, materials, etc.) on sustainability claims verification and marketing, providing data and analytics on claims, as needed
- Lead Tapestry’s Sustainable Innovation Roundtable working to review, analyze and provide clear guidance and recommendations on new and existing preferred materials
- Support internal product development teams in following appropriate standards and certifications schemes, like GRS, USDA Organic, Regenerative, RDS, etc.
- Engage with strategic multi-stakeholder initiatives and promote the adoption of industry tools and best practices where applicable
- Develop a platform for Tapestry brand design and product teams to develop a path towards circularity and new business models, in partnership with cross-functional partners
The accomplished individual will possess...
- Effective communication skills to build the business case for material specific sustainability initiatives with internal and external parties
- Demonstrated ability to track and analyze key product and materials sustainability issues across Tapestry’s supply chain and experience implementing biodiversity initiatives
- Demonstrated ability managing product environmental or corporate responsibility-related programs in the supply chain
- Knowledge of the accessories, footwear, and apparel industry, consumer goods industry, product development or supply chain preferred
- Direct experience in the adoption of more sustainable fibers, familiarity with life cycle assessment and working in apparel supply chains is strongly preferred
An outstanding professional will have...
- 5+ years of experience working in supply chains, innovation, sustainable materials, or a related field
- Experience with using product life cycle assessment analysis and tools to drive decision
- Advanced MS Excel skills and strong experience with data visualization tools to support strategy development and decision-making
- Creative and analytical problem solving skills, able to formulate a point-of-view without perfect data
- Experience/exposure to industry working groups (i.e. SAC, Textile Exchange, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative and team-oriented environment
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholder
Our Competencies for All Employees
- Drive for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Creativity: Comes up with a lot of new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions; tends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming settings.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Learning on the Fly: Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Perseverance: Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing with Ambiguity: Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Our Competencies for All People Managers
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Building Effective Teams: Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in their team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Managerial Courage: Doesn’t hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and “actionable” positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation (not including direct reports) quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
Tapestry, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we pride ourselves on hiring and developing the best people. All employment decisions (including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, transfer, training, discipline and termination) are based on the applicant’s or employee’s qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration. These decisions are made without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognized protected basis prohibited by applicable law.