Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service.
To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike).
We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture.
We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous driving technology, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business.
Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role you'll work on:
- Under the direction of the Head of City Policy and Government Affairs, you will advise Waymo (our leadership team, cross functional partners within the company, and the rest of the Policy Team) on how to thoughtfully and successfully operate our business in the Greater Los Angeles Region.
- You’ll use your broad and deep network of LA contacts to build support for Waymo’s service among city decision makers and community leaders.
- You’ll draft and manage the execution of strategic plans for Waymo’s political and community engagement in the Greater Los Angeles Region.
- You’ll represent Waymo at events ranging from professional speaking engagements with leaders to tabling at grassroots community events.
- You will manage consultants and drive strategic engagement with trade associations and relevant third parties in LA
- You’ll coordinate and collaborate with other members of the Waymo Policy team and other internal cross-functional business partners.
- You’ll synthesize and interpret external information, and use it to advise the business on how to be successful in Los Angeles.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- At least four years of experience working in Los Angeles in the areas of community organizing, political campaigns or consulting, within government, or on a government affairs team for a private sector company focused in Los Angeles.
- A large network of leaders throughout the Greater Los Angeles Region.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge and networks in new communities where you have not worked previously.
- A proven track record of developing a political strategy/campaign plan, and then executing on that plan to achieve successful results.
- Skilled at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before members of the public and local leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative, develop and execute strategies with minimal oversight, adapt to changing priorities, and navigate complex internal systems to get work done.
- Humility, confidence, and curiosity; we’re a small team and everyone has to be ready to rise to occasion to do things that might go beyond their past experience, and also to roll up their sleeves and do things that don’t take expertise but do take time and effort.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Passion for and knowledge about emerging technology and related public policy.
- Experience working on regulatory issues facing highly-regulated industries, especially in Los Angeles.
- Knowledge of the policy and regulatory environment surrounding autonomous passenger and commercial vehicles, especially in Los Angeles.
- Knowledge of real estate/land use policy, urban planning, and issues (equity, workforce development, sustainability) which could be considered related to autonomous vehicles.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)