Manager, Internal Communications
For nearly 50 years, Michaels has been the destination where Makers get inspired, learn, shop, and create. We strive to cultivate an inclusive shopping environment for all Makers and work environment for all Team Members, providing a place of belonging and empowering everyone to bring their creative dreams to life. At Michaels, every Team Member is encouraged to hone their craft with opportunities for personal and professional growth. From our Stores and Distribution Centers to Artistree and our Support Center, our best-in-class team is passionate about leaving the world a better, more creative place by contributing to every “make”.
Michaels is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are here for all Team Members and all Makers to create, innovate and be better together.
The Manager – Internal Communications is responsible for managing and executing internal communications strategies that inform, engage and inspire Michaels’ employees. In close collaboration with key stakeholders, including Human Resources and Store Operations, this manager will ensure consistent, effective communications to drive employee engagement, culture, and change management efforts across internal communication channels.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and working closely with colleagues across the organization, the Manager - Internal Communications plays an important role in amplifying our purpose, strategic vision, and business priorities with all internal audiences.Major Activities
Internal Event Management
- Manage, produce, and staff key Internal Events, including Quarterly Town Halls, All-Team Org Meetings, and Special Events at the Store Support Center (Holiday, Cultural, and Crafting Events and Initiatives, in partnership with the Inclusion & Diversity Team)
- Manage contracted AV team to support event production
- Capture content working with the social/comms team of each company-wide event to be shared internally thereafter
- Support slide content development for key executive presentations
Internal Communications Management
- Creating and managing consistent corporate communications strategy for all communication (appropriate tone and method of communication, i.e., intranet postings, executive communication, events, newsletters, video, memos.
- Creates and maintains a consistent brand for all communication tools, including handbooks, postings, announcements, etc.
- Works with content experts to outline the content and ensure effectiveness and efficiency of communication.
- Consults with business partners on significant changes in process or organization to create and execute a structured communication plan.
- Manages communication flow on all major corporate-wide processes and events such as performance appraisals, benefits open enrollment, community outreach events, and others.
- Maintains process documentation and copies of all communication.
- Seeks input from internal customers on additional communication needs and improvements to current processes.
- Serves as point person on Crisis Response Team to drive urgent communication.
- Develop and maintains effective relationships with internal stakeholders across the organization to drive timelines, gather working groups, and reach alignment.
- Forges strong partnerships with Field, Store Teams, Distribution Centers, and Artistree communication teams to ensure consistency of message.
Admin and Budget Management
- Manage internal communications budget
- Drive organization and stakeholder reporting for the Internal Communications function
Other duties as assigned
- Leave room for serendipity and new, fun project or help with crucial business needs as necessary
- Support the employer/talent brand by seeking opportunities to elevate internal Team Member stories on platforms like LinkedIn and the Newsroom
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Organizational Communications or Human Relations focus preferred
Minimum Special Certifications or technical skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent PowerPoint skills
- Familiarity with Sharepoint is a plus
Minimum Type of experience the job requires
- 6+ years of internal communications experience
- Experience in large, multi-store retail or service organization
- Strong project management skills, superior writing skills, and attention to detail
- Possess the four P’s: professionalism, positivity, proactivity, and productivity in your role and as a member of the team
- Demonstrated success in the development, alignment, and deployment of internal communications strategy
- Proven experience in achieving results in a dynamic, small-team environment
- Relationship management with key stakeholders such as Executive Council members, HR leaders, and Field Operations leaders
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- High motivation and results-driven mentality
Applicants in the U.S. must satisfy federal, state, and local legal requirements of the job.
CA, CO, CT, WA, RI and select New York cities only - To review pay ranges for the position you are applying for, please visit Michaels Pay Ranges - CA, CO, CT, WA, RI, and select New York cities only.
Michaels is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with this commitment, Michaels will assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if a reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the job, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Customer Care at 1-800-642-4235 (1800-MICHAEL).