Manager, Health & Safety
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
Our Global Distribution DC Support functions are part of our greater lululemon Supply Chain organization. This team is responsible for the overall Health and Safety, Facilities and Production Control of our North America Distribution Centers. The Safety team plays a business-critical role in ensuring that our DC employees remain safe while at work. They are responsible for maintaining, developing, and implementing safety standards that follow local regulations, statutes, and ordinances. The DC Health and Safety Manager role will be based in the distribution center and report to the Senior Manager of Health and Safety. The role will support the health and safety program in the distribution center and contribute to the overall success of Global Fulfillment. This role is a key partner with multiple stakeholders, including the General Managers/Directors of each distribution center or campus, to ensure all employees work in a safe and healthy environment.
A day in the life
- Directs and oversees the safety department within the DC campus.
- Partners with DC Director on site-specific items for implementing strategic plans that support continuous improvements for safety.
- Responsible for all aspects of talent management for their salaried and hourly direct reports and their results, including hiring, training, the annual review process, performance management, development and coaching, engagement, off-boarding, and rewards and recognition.
- Responsible for partnering with Health and Safety, Asset Protection, Facilities, and People and Culture on employee concerns within their department that require escalation.
- Responsible for leading weekly and monthly safety planning for their department.
- Responsible for ensuring their department has the proper supply levels at the right time.
- Responsible for effective communication flow to their supervisors and department.
- Responsible for effective collaboration and accountability to ensure safety inspections and audits are completed by all teams.
- Responsible for ensuring that all local/state safety compliance requirements are met.
- Responsible for large-scope strategic initiatives and projects within their respective department.
- Approves termination decision of hourly employees and takes appropriate partnership with People and Culture.
- Supports with driving health and safety and labor compliance of the building and ensuring compliance within their department.
- Supports with driving results of overall employee engagement of the building and ensuring engagement is high within their department.
- Provides insight and support to site Leader with AOP (Annual Operation Planning) planning for department.
- Responsible for partnering with DC Workforce Administrators on verifying and approving timekeeping for hourly direct reports, including attendance tracking.
- Supports with delivering on DC budget targets for their department.
- Champions and leads through lululemon's IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Action) initiatives and values.
- 5+ years of safety leadership experience in a Distribution Center or similar environment-preferably in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- 3 years of direct people management experience with hourly employees.
- Occupational health and safety degree, diploma, or certificate or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Occupational Health and Safety (OSHA) general industry certification and/or pursuing Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or CRSP for Canada designation required.
- Outstanding communication skills, including proven ability to influence all areas of an organization.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the team and business partners, both written and verbally.
- Ability to understand and implement continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ability to lead and maintain a safe work environment.
- Proven experience leading and implementing process improvements.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple high-priority tasks.
- Subject to wearing personal protective equipment as defined by the local distribution center.
- Ability to travel 1-3 times per year domestically and internationally.
- Ability to obtain a powered industrial truck (PIT) operator certification depending on business needs.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs frequently.
- Ability to maintain a safe work environment.
- Flexible and adaptable with schedule which could include nights, working required holidays, some weekends with occasional after-hours requirements and overtime.
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.