Manager, Firmware Engineering
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
- Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
- Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
- Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
Samsara's hardware systems bridge the gap for the rapidly evolving world of physical operations to a cloud platform that enables our customers to increase the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy. The hardware footprint is big – we build ultra low power sensors, ruggedized asset trackers, vehicle ADAS systems with AI/ML, telematics systems, rackmount video inspection with AI/Ml and maybe much more. We leverage a myriad of technologies including low power MCUs, beefy SoCs, DSPs, LTE, GPS, BLE, WiFi, imaging sensors, ML/AI/CV, accelerometers, and more. Our challenges span the gamut from eeking out single digit microamps to thermals to desense to cost reduction to antenna design to enclosure design that survives extreme environments.
We’re looking for a Firmware Manager to join our team and manage the Smart Trailers and Connected Equipment Firmware Team. This team is responsible for building solutions connecting critical infrastructure ranging from trailers to construction equipment to heavy machinery to the cloud so our customers can better operate.
The Smart Trailers and Connected Equipment Firmware Team designs, builds and maintains the firmware running on Samsara’s Asset Gateways and sensors. The team partners closely with hardware engineering, quality engineering, product management, and full-stack engineers to build products and feature sets that help our customers transform their operations to become more safe, sustainable, and efficient.
You will lead the team to build high volume new hardware products as well as ship high value features to our installed base. Your team will take on challenges including component selection, technology evaluation, board bring-up, communication protocol design, implementation, and validation. Your team will leverage technologies including GPS, LTE, BLE and WiFi and work on products that are both battery powered and externally powered.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: The software, firmware, and hardware you build will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You want to build for scale: With over 2.3 million IoT devices deployed to our global customers, you will work on a range of new and mature technologies driving scalable innovation for customers across industries driving the world's physical operations.
- You are a life-long learner: We have ambitious goals. Every Samsarian has a growth mindset as we work with a wide range of technologies, challenges, and customers that push us to learn on the go.
- You believe customers are more than a number: Samsara engineers enjoy a rare closeness to the end user and you will have the opportunity to participate in customer interviews, collaborate with customer success and product managers, and use metrics to ensure our work is translating into better customer outcomes.
- You are a team player: Working on our Samsara Engineering teams requires a mix of independent effort and collaboration. Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
In this role, you will:
- Manage a team of 6-10 firmware engineers working on multiple products in different stages of development
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship in embedded systems development
- Ensure firmware releases are high quality and manage their rollout to the field
- Collaborate cross-functionally with hardware and full-stack engineering to develop new products and features and improve existing ones
- Work with leadership on the planning and execution of quarterly roadmaps that balance product and engineering priorities for maximum customer impact
- Build a healthy collaborative culture of accountability and continuous improvement while setting a high standard for execution quality
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 3+ years of hands-on execution-oriented technical management experience
- 7+ years of relevant MCU firmware experience
- Proven track record managing a team of firmware engineers that has shipped a mass production product
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a diverse fast paced customer-focused environment
- Experience shipping IoT/connected devices and FW releases
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience working on products from concept to mass production
- Hands on experience at and with CM/JDM partners
- Experience with data analysis using tools such as Databricks, SQL queries, Tableau
Samsara’s Compensation Philosophy: Samsara’s compensation program is designed to deliver total compensation (based on role, level, and geography) that is above market. We do this through our base salary + bonus/variable + restricted stock unit awards (RSUs). A new hire RSU award is awarded at the time of hire, and additional RSU refresh grants may be awarded annually.
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
The range of annual base salary for full-time employees for this position is below. Please note that base pay offered may vary depending on factors including your city of residence, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.