Manager, Financial Crimes Strategic Change
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Financial Crimes Strategic Change Manager will be responsible for managing assurance analyses across the financial crimes program, including a small team charged with providing controls assurance. In this role, you will be broadly responsible for supporting Coinbase in its mission to create an open financial system while ensuring that Coinbase remains the most trusted and compliant exchange.
The Investigations Controls Manager will report to a Senior Manager in Financial Crimes Compliance and will be managing assurance efforts related to controls assurance, including maintaining important cross-functional and vendor relationships. You will be responsible for managing quality gap identification, root cause analysis of issues, and validation of remediation activities. You will be expected to track and report assurance results, and classify defects and root causes in order to identify process improvement or training opportunities. You will also be responsible for maintaining a control inventory and mapping controls to legal requirements. As a Strategic Change Manager for the Financial Crimes program, you will also be required to define quality standards and operationalize, standardize, and maintain assurance procedures.
The ideal candidate will possess BSA/AML operational experience at a financial institution, has a working knowledge of BSA/AML regulations, and is highly organized, analytical, and detail-oriented.
What you’ll be doing (i.e., job duties):
- Responsible for driving controls assurance for Financial Crimes by managing the controls inventory and coordinating control assessment with first- and second-line control owners;
- Perform gap identification, root cause analysis, and validate control assessments performed by control owners;
- Coordinate remediation plans and control enhancements efforts in support of Financial Crimes controls;
- Utilize an in-depth understanding of metrics and workflows to analyze and report on trends, issues, and quality defects;
- Utilize data to provide assurance insights, recommendations, and opportunities for improvement to Compliance Management and within internal BSA/AML teams;
- Communicate with internal and external partners in an effective, organized, and insightful manner, including maintaining relationships with Financial Crimes vendors; and
- Continuously add value through effective project management and efficient execution.
What we look for in you (i.e., job requirements):
- Prior BSA/AML/Sanctions operational experience in a financial institution, fintech, or consulting environment.
- Working knowledge of U.S. and international AML laws, regulations, and guidelines.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience preferably in financial services, technology, or quality & training.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with G Suite applications, Excel, Word.
- Flexible and adaptable to meeting the evolving needs of a high-growth and fast paced organization, including working across time zones.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Organized with a high level of attention to detail.
- Motivated by Coinbase’s mission and values.
Nice to haves:
- Anti-Money Laundering Specialist Certification (CAMS).
- Experience with Google apps, JIRA, and/or Salesforce Service Cloud.
- Specific experience with cryptocurrency products as a user and/or experience working in the digital currency industry.
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $144,500 to $170,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k))
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.