Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Communications, the Manager, Communications will lead the development of high impact internal company communications programs focused on important priorities of the organization. You will work across the company globally, aligning to highest priority and most complex communications assignments for specific departments. The Manager, Communications will lead projects and work with team members across the company, including members of the executive leadership team.
Daily responsibilities of the role include leading global communication project teams and partner teams for top priority focus areas (rollout of company strategy, high impact changes) both in the U.S. and internationally, leading (influencing without authority) associate managers on projects, influencing senior business leaders and HR partners at multiple levels across the organization to deliver impactful communications. You will help improve company performance, team member engagement and shape our culture.
This position is based in our Lake Forest, IL headquarters and will be hybrid in nature.
- Lead project planning, resource allocation and execution of deliverables for programs to support company strategy. Projects could include but will not be limited to company strategy deployment, organizational changes, large meeting leader communications.
- Influence and direct senior leaders on communications to promote important priorities
- Manage projects concurrently, identifying and elevating resource constraints, roadblocks and deliverables and developing recommendations to supplement team with other internal and external resources.
- Mentor team members and manage performance, coaching and overall project planning.
- Develop standards and processes to increase efficiency of team and leaders.
- Review and refine core messages and ensure communication plans are integrated and aligned throughout the company to explain business strategy.
- Foster open, honest, transparent communications between senior leaders, mid-level managers and team members in ways that enhance internal engagement.
- Provide strategic direction to teams managing deployment communications for different functions.
- Measure and assess the effectiveness of communications activities. Use data to make decisions on future communications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Investor Relations, or related field.
- 7+ years' experience in business or communications/ investor relations roles.
- Previous consulting experience providing recommendations to both corporate and field clients; demonstrated experience with building relationships, influencing, and advising senior leaders
- Experience influencing senior leaders on communications
- Project management experience
- Operated in high pressure situations with multiple partners including senior executives under tight timeframes.
- Experience across all dimensions of internal communications and a willingness to experiment with new ways to communicate with team members.
- Translated complex business issues into understandable, creative and strategic communications for a variety of audiences.
- Experience managing sensitive or proprietary company information.
Rewards and Benefits:
With benefits starting day one, Grainger is committed to your safety, health and wellbeing. Our programs provide choice and flexibility to meet our team members' individual needs. Check out some of the rewards available to you at Grainger
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Paid time off (PTO) and 6 company holidays per year
- Automatic 6% 401(k) company contribution each pay period
- Employee discounts, parental leave, 3:1 match on donations and tuition reimbursement
- A comprehensive set of emotional, financial, physical and social wellbeing programs
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.