Manager, Accounts Payable
BuzzFeed has an opening for an experienced Manager, Accounts Payable for our NY office location (this position will be in a hybrid work environment, working from the office and home). As a member of our fast-paced team, you will be an integral part of the Accounting team to support BuzzFeed’s advancing business. Process driven, strong communicator and a sense of ownership are the key attributes for this role. Additionally, as with any position involving financial responsibility, a sharp eye for detail and confidentiality are paramount.
Reporting to our Assistant Controller US, you will be responsible for leading and supporting the day to day activities for all aspects of accounts payable across all divisions, entities and locations. We are looking for a mentor to develop the team, as well as set high standards for quality work. The successful candidate must also have strong communication skills with individuals throughout BuzzFeed, including executives, in order to provide guidance and ensure compliance. The role is also responsible for financial statement close and reporting requirements globally, compliance with internal controls, various analyses, in addition to day-to-day tasks.
- Strategically execute processes with the highest level of accuracy and timeliness across the Accounts Payable department while ensuring systems and procedures adhere to company policies.
- Manage a team in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Lead the strategic direction of the global accounts payable function and establish new policies and procedures to grow, improve, and enhance the department.
- Ensure all applicable financial transactions are properly recorded, filed and reported, and related accounts are appropriately reconciled and controlled through verification of entries and supporting documentation.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to ensure promptness of payments, support cash management strategies, and optimize business relationships.
- Collaborate with the Treasury team to support the continued reconciliation and automation of disbursements.
- Maintain the accuracy of historical data and records.
- Perform month-end Accounts Payable closing duties and complete monthly reconciliations and create journal entries as necessary. Review all journal entries created by department staff.
- Provide audit and tax support.
- Communicate with creditors and vendors regarding payments, outstanding credits and other finance-related inquiries. Provide timely resolutions.
- Oversee the annual 1099 process.
- Efficiently leverage our accounting systems to manage accounts payable, including Concur, NetSuite, Workday, and SimpleLegal.
- Additional ad-hoc duties.
- Degree in Accounting or related field a plus
- 7+ years progressive experience in accounting and management principles, including minimum 4 years experience in managing a team.
- Global AP experience at a large or mid-sized company
- Experience building talent and leading process improvement
- Strong attention to detail
- NetSuite experience preferred
- Expert proficiency in Concur invoice required
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Excel required (Vlookups, pivot tables, etc.)
- Understanding of risk and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance a plus
- Confidence in creating reports and presenting findings to senior executives
- Strong customer service experience
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.