Legal Policy Manager
San Francisco, CA
New York, NY
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
We are seeking a detail-oriented, flexible, and proactive people manager, with a gift for balancing multiple tasks and the demands of your team efficiently! If you fit this description, you should join our Legal Policy team in our Twitter San Francisco office!
Who We Are:
In Twitter’s Legal Policy department, we work to safeguard user expression and privacy in balance with manageable risk through policy enforcement that promotes trust in Twitter. Areas of focus include privacy and intellectual property rights, government and law enforcement requests, advertising policies, and safety advocacy.
What You’ll Do:
Twitter Legal Policy seeks an experienced, team-focused people manager to join our Legal Policy team in San Francisco. You will report to the Global Director of Information Requests and focus on information requests from around the world with a particular focus on LatAm and Canada.
- Oversee regional policies and processes for the information requests team and ensure consistency with Global information request policies
- Provide oversight for investigation, logging, handling, follow-up, and documentation for handling for information requests in conjunction with the Global Director and other regional leads
- Continuously evaluate and propose improvements for existing operations, frameworks, policies, and processes; effectively delegate tasks and see projects through to completion
- Motivate your team to efficiently and accurately produce quality work product; actively recognize team needs, anticipate issues, and propose viable solutions; ensure compliance with SLAs and established procedures
- Actively and diligently strengthen your team through purposeful hiring and implementing comprehensive employee development plans. Your team is responsible for processing sensitive legal requests from start to finish, including document intake, processing, and follow-up.
- Collaborate closely with Legal Policy management and other team members distributed across the world to continuously iterate on relevant policies and workflows, and collaborate on related strategies with our in-house counsel and public policy teams. In addition, you will create and improve processes and documentation, conduct accuracy assessments, contribute to broader Legal Policy initiatives, and coordinate communications across the team and with other internal partners across the company.
- Adapt quickly to changes in a high-demand environment, able to delegate effectively, remain calm, focused and communicative in high-pressure situations, and encourage great work from your team.
- Assess current and future team needs in a dynamic legal and regulatory environment, all with an eye toward protecting our users and promoting transparency. Familiarity with developing policies for handling legal content issues, as well as scaling operations and working with distributed teams is required and comfort with, and enjoyment of, electronic communications is critical.
- Facilitate development opportunities and strategic direction for team
- Proactively recognize needs, anticipate issues, and propose viable solutions
- Maintain open, detailed, and regular communication with all internal teams; communicate clear and objective explanations of process and policy internally
- Participate in quality assurance and quality control processes for the global team
- Prioritize and coordinate team’s handling of critical issues, working cross-functionally as needed
- Provide on-call support in team-wide Emergency Disclosure Requests rotation, and making proactive referrals
- Potentially represent Twitter in witness testimony or other external engagements
- 4-6+ years of relevant experience (with 2-4 years of management experience) including familiarity with legal information requests, policy development, oversight of large-scale operations, and a consistent track record of team development
- Strong management, leadership and team development skills; you set clear priorities for your team and eliminate barriers to success
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and are comfortable communicating externally on behalf of the team
- Excellent business judgment, think strategically, and are extremely detail-oriented
- Passionate and enthusiastic about protecting user privacy and freedom of expression
- You are patient, positive, driven, flexible, and open-minded; in short, you are a great teammate
- Comfortable managing ambiguous policy escalations
- Proficient Spanish and/or Portuguese speaker
- Anticipate the impact of change, and lead adaptive process shifts
- Collaborate effectively with a global multicultural team of partners, sometimes with competing priorities
- Represent your team as a functional expert
- Manage internal and external stakeholders
- Manage numerous projects simultaneously under pressure and time constraints; you have excellent business judgment and think strategically
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- 4-6+ years in a similar role at a tech company
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language proficiency
- Experience representing your company in external engagements, such as witness testimony
Role involves exposure to sensitive or graphic content including but not limited to vulgar language, violent threats, pornography, and other graphic images.
This role is full-time in San Francisco. Please be sure to specify all languages and level of fluency in your application/resume.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Notice (Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act)
The expected salary range for this role to be performed in Colorado is USD$146,000.00 - USD$204,000.00. Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future.
This job is also eligible for participation in Twitter’s Performance Bonus Plan and Equity Incentive Plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies.
Twitter offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, sick time, and parental leave. Twitter's benefits prioritize employee wellness and progressive support to our diverse workforce.