Legal Intern (Summer 2023)
The in-house legal department at Verano is seeking Legal Interns for full-time internship positions for the summer of 2023. The Legal Interns will gain legal experience and training working under the supervision of Verano attorneys in a variety of practice areas of interest, including corporate transactions, securities, compliance & regulatory, government affairs & policy, litigation, labor & employment, and real estate. This position is expected to work approximately 40 hours/week in-person at Verano’s Chicago office and is unpaid. The internship duration is expected to last ten weeks from early-June 2023 through mid-August 2023, although specific dates are flexible. Academic credit may be received subject to approval by the Legal Intern’s academic institution.
This internship provides current law students with the opportunity to work at an in-house legal department and gain valuable work experience across a breadth of practice areas. The Legal Interns will receive ongoing guidance, training and direction from attorneys and other professional staff members on matters relating to their professional growth and career goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and summarize legal, regulatory and compliance issues.
- Draft, review, evaluate, and edit contracts and other legal documents.
- Organize and catalogue contracts and corporate records.
- Help build and improve legal department processes.
- Assist with special projects and other day-to-day matters.
- Attend regularly scheduled trainings.
- Liaison with other Verano departments, including investor relations, accounting and finance.
- Current J.D. Candidate in good academic standing, Class of 2024 or 2025 (e., current 1L or 2L law students).
- Strong academic credentials.
- Interest in a variety of legal work.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Interested students should provide a current resume and transcript.
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the Legal Intern is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 10 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees and interns, our markets and our communities.