Based out of North West’s Winnipeg Corporate Office (a hybrid work environment consisting of in-office and remote work), and reporting directly to the Vice President, Legal and Corporate Secretary, the Legal Assistant is accountable to provide a full range of services to the North West group of companies.
The ideal candidate is a Legal Assistant who has a proven track record of being successful and valued working in an in-house or law firm setting. The candidate must be able to work independently but collaboratively and practically within a fast-paced, high performance environment. The role will also support other diverse business needs and large-scale special projects, as needed.
- Act as a liaison between the Vice President, Legal and internal and external clients/external legal counsel
- Assist in the management of the legal services intake, tracking, assigning and reporting processes
- Process invoices, expense claims, and submit cheque requests
- Manage the Legal Department’s electronic file system
- Draft correspondence, proofread and format legal documents
- Prepare simple contracts based on contract templates
- Prepare closing books
- Prepare meeting minutes and manage carry forward items
- Arrange travel for the Vice President, Legal
- Process incoming and outgoing mail, order office supplies etc.
- Other duties as requested by the Vice President, Legal and Corporate Secretary
Desired Skills & Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar position
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook and Excel)
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with strong writing, proof reading and verbal skills
- Ability to work within tight timelines to meet deadlines, reassessing priorities as needed
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Ability to communicate professionally with internal clients, external counsel and other business partners
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Reports to: Vice President, Legal and Corporate Secretary
- We create a collaborative and constructive culture by:Being Enterprising • Committing to our Customer • Working with Passion • Leading and Developing Others • Demonstrating Respect and Inclusivity • Building Trust
The North West Company is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages applications from all candidates including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, and persons with disabilities.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For Internal Applicants only:
Salary Grade: COR007
Interested internal applicants are invited to apply directly on the website no later than 4:00 P.M, Friday, March 17,2023. Internal applicants must select “Yes” as the answer to “Are you currently employed by The North West Company or any of its subsidiaries?” during the application process.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. NWC employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
NOTE: Prior to applying, an internal employee MUST obtain a written endorsement email from their current Manager or Manager – once – removed and provide this to the recruitment team before they can be considered for opportunities. This position adheres to the Corporate Job Posting Guidelines.