Lead Software Engineer
Santa Monica, CA
Ad Platforms organization within Disney Entertainment and ESPN Technology is fully responsible for building, enhancing and maintaining the high-performance, distributed, microservice-based Advertising Platform across all of Disney online properties, including Hulu and ESPN+. We build and maintain proprietary technology, ranging from ad serving and ad delivery, campaign management, reporting as well as all the integrations internal and external that come with evolving and maintaining a best-in-class video advertising business.
The Ad Intelligence team is under Ad Platforms and its mission is to transform advertising and Disney's Ad platform with data and AI across TV and streaming video. We build solutions to measure and optimize every aspect of the advertising life cycle. Our tenant is a strong cross-domain team to deliver E2E solutions covering tech areas ranging from machine learning, big data, microservices to data visualization.
Our team is seeking a lead software engineer who will be a core team member for our advertising targeting & decisioning engineering group. This group is positioned to build industry-leading ad decisioning solutions and experiment platforms for Disney’s addressable ad platforms. The right person for this role should have extensive experience on high performance services or full stack products. If you are someone who is proactive, hardworking, and enthusiastic in these domains, this is a phenomenal role for you!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead to build next-gen microservice based engines for advertising targeting & decisioning, and continuously improve performance, scalability and availability
- Lead to build a next-gen experiment platform with cloud based big data solutions for fostering more innovations and speeding-up KPI improvement iterations to fit evolving business needs
- Lead to design scalable distributed systems with established partition tolerance, consistency, and availability guarantees
- Collaborate with researchers to productize cutting edge innovations at scale
- Advocate the best engineering practices, including the use of design patterns, CI/CD, code review and automated integration testing
- Drive ground-breaking innovation and apply the state-of-the-art technologies
- Collaborate with program managers, product managers, SDET, and researchers in an open and innovative environment
- Mentor team members, and guide their technical development
- Communicate status to senior management
WHAT TO BRING
- BS in Computer Science / Engineering or relevant work experience
- 7+ years of professional programming in Java, Scala, Python, and etc.
- 7+ years high-performance, high-scalable service development experience
- Proven track record with cloud infrastructure technologies, at least two of Terraform, K8S, Spinnaker, IAM, ALB, and etc.
- In-depth experience of industry level highly available and scalable service
- Strong knowledge of system, application design and architecture
- Passion about technologies, and openness to interdisciplinary work
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Experience in digital advertising
- MS in Computer Science / Engineering or relevant work experience
- Experience with machine learning and AI
- Experience with a widely used Web framework (React.js, Vue.js, Angular, etc.) and good knowledge of Web stack HTML, CSS, Webpack.
- Experience with processing large amount of data at petabyte level
- Experience with Click House, Impala, Presto, Redshift etc.
The hiring range for this position in California is $149,240 - $200,200 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family.
Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.