Lead Software Architect
New York, NY
BARK is a company building products, experiences, and entertainment for dogs and the people who love them. The lasting brand that Disney has built for kids and families, BARK is building for the fast-growing market of dog people.
Our ambition-level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 50 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make dogs happier.
But what kind of company is BARK? It's a company that has gone to the dogs. We are committed to a culture that is open, inclusive, generous, and enthusiastic — just like our pups. United by this dog-obsession, we embrace diversity of all stripes and spots. If your camera roll is 90% pictures of your dog, you belong here.
At BARK, we know that dogs aren't pets; they're family. Our people – crazy dog people – believe that their dogs deserve the best. The best treats, the best toys, the best seat on the couch. Together, we're driven to be the people our dogs think we are.
- Design scalable solutions on latest integration paradigms and API/service based interactions in a mixed technology landscape
- Design, communicate and build key components of a services architecture including containers, load balancing, distributed cache.
- Identify and improve existing processes with considerations to automation, auditing, monitoring, security and delivery.
- Maintain Docker framework and deployments for services
- Always consider build vs buy and develop criteria to evaluate 3rd party systems
- Work with technical teams to integrate with 3rd party systems
- Strong competency in working collaboratively and communicating effectively with departments across the organization, including the finance, engineering and technology teams, in order to create alignment on processes that impact all related platforms
- Keep our site up and running at peak performance.
- Help the tech team deploy faster by building libraries and best practices to prevent decision paralysis
- Make the right thing to do the easy thing to do.
- 4+ years of full-stack web-development experience and are open to Ruby on Rails
- Have handled 1-2 major projects in an Architecture role
- Experience in defining new architectures and ability to drive an independent project from an architectural standpoint
- Experience in defining a RESTful service based architecture for new business capabilities or transformations around legacy implementation
- Drive to refactor large codebases to improve performance, legibility and maintenance
- Experience monitoring, optimizing, maintaining, and migrating databases
- Passion for data models and query optimization.
- Possess a strong command of CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc)
- Creative problem solver who focuses on improving business and product
- Experience in network, server, and application-status monitoring
- You have set up integrations with third party services
- You can work cross functionally in our technology team
- Must love dogs