Lead Environmental Engineer
As a Lead Environmental Engineer you will be responsible for managing all aspects of environmental permitting and compliance at UL sites including air, hazardous and nonhazardous waste, stormwater, wastewater, oil, and chemical management. You will also be responsible for coordinating with consultants during new project development/construction, ensuring the proper management of any required permits as those projects transition to operations, develop and maintain permitting and compliance systems/tools, and keep up to date with appropriate environmental regulations. This role requires a high level of attention to detail and accuracy and may provide additional support for other environmental regulatory programs.
- Prepare site permit applications, environmental reports, and environmental compliance procedures manuals
- Develop and administer environmental compliance plans for operating permits
- Coordinate development of standard operating procedures to ensure adherence to all required permits and regulations, and collaborate with sites to implement procedures
- Identify, develop, and deliver necessary training
- Provide support for environmental compliance planning and audits
- Conduct routine compliance assessments and document action plans for any findings
- Develop, maintain, and improve existing regulatory compliance systems and tools to drive improved compliance performance and site efficiency
- Advise engineering, operations, and leadership on regulatory issues, rule making, and interpretations
- Interface with regulatory agencies, engineers, and environmental consultants
- Periodic travel to other UL sites
What makes you a great fit:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Science or related
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in environmental compliance
- Thorough understanding of federal, state and local environmental regulations
- Previous experience managing environmental compliance in multiple regions is a benefit.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL Solutions, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL Solutions employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL Solutions. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL Solutions are eligible for bonus compensation. UL Solutions offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.