Mission Barns is where some of the world’s smartest, most passionate people are pioneering the future of food. We are scaling up and optimizing our process to provide sustainable, safe, and humane meat products to the world.
We are a venture-backed startup with decades of experience in cell biology, tissue engineering, media development, food science, bioreactor design, and more. We’re united by our collective drive to solve difficult problems, ask tough questions, and apply cutting-edge science and engineering. At Mission Barns, you’ll have the freedom to dream big and do the best work of your life.
As the Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) Lead Engineer, you will apply knowledge of Cell Biology, Biotechnology, and Engineering to: lead the tech transfer of processes and equipment from R&D to Manufacturing; identify, investigate, and develop solutions in manufacturing process improvement and troubleshooting; work on process/bioreactor design and production; work alongside multiple teams including Bioprocess to establish consistent and robust manufacturing and Quality to assure our product is safe, nutritious, and savory.
- Full-time, exempt
- On-site 100%, not remote, in San Francisco, CA
- Full time employees enjoy medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible holiday and vacation time, 401k, stock options, and ample opportunity for career advancement as the company grows.
- Must be able to meet these requirements with or without accommodations:
- Ability to stand on your feet for up to 10 hours with legally required breaks, where applicable.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and cleanroom gowning in certain areas of the facility.
- Manual dexterity for the use of manufacturing equipment.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds without assistance.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Ability to handle fluctuation in temperature associated with ovens, incubators, cooling environments, or cleanrooms.
- - Passionate about our goal of building a more sensible food system.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Engineering or Sciences related to Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or Cell Biology is required.
- Education and/or training in a cell culture environment is required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a process development, MSAT, or regulated manufacturing environment is required.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Become a subject matter expert in manufacturing equipment and processes used in the manufacturing of cultivated fat.
- Lead the technology transfer of our production process from R&D to Manufacturing.
- Lead and execute equipment and process validations in a manufacturing facility.
- Support the planning and execution of scale up readiness from a pilot scale to a commercial scale process.
- Proactively identify process improvement opportunities (e.g., yield, robustness, throughput, and safety) and partner with R&D and Manufacturing teams to assess various available resolutions whether through plug-and-play tools or complex small-scale experiments.
- Develop feasibility assessments on manufacturing processes, scale-up and transfer of technologies to cross-functional teams for manufacturing.
- Lead root cause investigation teams for complex manufacturing problems, and work with relevant stakeholders to develop and implement CAPA.
- Prepare large scale media, supplement, stock, and buffer solutions for the manufacturing process.
- Make detailed observations and conduct statistical analysis of data in support of product and process quality.
- Advise technical leadership of factors that may affect quality, accuracy, and usefulness of data, and interpret experimental results.
Full Time employees enjoy 99% coverage for medical, dental and vision benefits, pre-tax benefits, a 401K, stock options, a dog and pig friendly office, a brand new state of the art office close to 101, I-80, walking distance to public transit (BART, MUNI, SamTrans), an unlimited supply of snacks, flavored waters, coffee, tea and ample career advancement as the company grows.
Mission Barns is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.