Lead Data Engineer
A little about us
Hi, we’re Aurora Cannabis, and we’re so excited to meet you!
We’re a global cannabis company with operations across Europe and North and South America. We’re driven by our passion to help people improve their lives and have a diverse team who bring their best every day, so Aurora can be the cannabis provider of choice for patients and consumers. We love our work, and we especially love our high quality, innovative brands that make up the Aurora family – from Aurora, Aurora Drift, San Rafael ’71, Greybeard and Whistler.
Our people combined with our collective passion for the industry is what makes Aurora a special place to work and defines what we call our “A-Team”. We are a high-performing team of cannabis experts, innovators, and champions, that work, learn and win together. We think BIG, act BOLD and execute with PURPOSE in all that we do, and will stop at nothing to cultivate the ultimate cannabis experience for our community.
Are you a dynamic professional with a deep passion for data engineering? Do you enjoy driving data-based decision making? Does the idea of working in a global remote environment with a leading medical cannabis provider sound exciting? If so, we have the perfect role for you.
We’re searching for an ambitious professional to plant their roots with us as a Lead Data Engineer in our BIA Division with IT. Our BIA team integrates data and develops data warehouses, provides reporting, advanced analytics, and data science services across the organization to generate ideas, support data driven decision making and foster innovation – and in this role, you will do exactly that.
As the Lead Data Engineer, you will support the team with developing comprehensive data sets and pipelines that meet the needs of our organization. You will be accountable for cloud base enterprise data warehouse maintenance and modernization and exercise your advanced knowledge of data orchestration, ingestion, and reporting to improve processes and deliver results. Sound interesting? Here is a little more…
As the Lead Data Engineer you will...
- Build and maintain batch and near real-time data pipelines
- Provide day-to-day team management and support talent growth
- Lead end-to-end, best in class data integration solutions to support enterprise reporting and analytics
- Design and develop automated transactional data processing pipelines, LogicApps and Azure functions
- Automate existing data pipelines and troubleshoot data failures
- Translate data requirements into detailed designs and pipeline architecture, ensuring proper documentation of methodology
- Build and maintain strong partnership with business stakeholders to ensure business needs are addressed and results are delivered
- Maintain existing eco-system and ensure consistency in data delivery architecture throughout the project life cycle
- Partner closely with Master Data Management and BIA team to bring efficiencies and controls in the data acquisition and define best practices around data extraction, modeling, consumption, and governance
You’re the ideal candidate if you have…
- Post-secondary education, such as a Bachelor's degree, in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or a related field
- 5+ years of experience with data analytics and integrations, schema design, developing and maintaining data warehouses and deploying analytical models
- Expertise with cloud technologies and infrastructure for data integration and processing such as Microsoft Azure Data Lake, Functions, Data Factory and Databricks (we would also welcome an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience)
- Prior experience leading large BI projects involving cross-functional teams and stakeholders in growing environments
- Proficiency in MS Excel, SQL programming (writing complex queries), scripting languages (Python, C#) and Visual Studio
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience with Azure Synapse, source code management tools (DevOps, GitHub), CI/CD development and best practices, and ERP and CRM systems
- Strong knowledge of data statistics and mining
We can’t wait to meet you if you are…
- A dynamic leader with a successful track record for generating results and managing diverse data projects and teams in ambiguous and growing environments
- An analytical individual who enjoys transforming complex sets of data into long-term strategies that drive business value
- An organized professional with exceptional time management skills who can adapt quickly to evolving priorities
- A compassionate team player who thrives in a collaborative space where they can coach others, challenge ideas and drive data-based decision making
Why you’ll love working at Aurora
Our people are at the heart of everything we do here at Aurora, and we take pride in fostering an inclusive space that inspires our team to love where they work! From rewarding career opportunities to flexible work environments to team activities, we go above and beyond to prioritize your success and here’s how we do it…
- Flexibility: you will enjoy a flexible work environment that is the perfect blend of work and fun! You will be empowered to achieve work-life balance with flexible hours, remote work options, vacation time, meeting-free-Friday-afternoons and more!
- Total rewards: we will motivate you to go above and beyond with a competitive salary, stock options, an RRSP program, annual bonuses, and a health and personal care spending account for you to use for gym memberships, ski passes or staycations.
- Benefits: we will foster your health and wellness (and your dependents) with our employee benefits package including, employer-paid health and dentalcare premiums, life insurance and LTD policies and a medical cannabis coverage program, designed exclusively for our A-Team, that will provide you with $3,000 of coverage each year (because we truly believe cannabis is the best medicine).
- Life-long learning: we’re lifelong learners here at Aurora and will invest in your professional development throughout all aspects of your career! You will have access to a tuition assistance program, virtual learning activities and annual performance reviews, to ensure you are provided with the toolkit and support you need to succeed.
- Perks: we love to celebrate our people by providing corporate perks including employee discounts, perkopolis memberships, company SWAG, paid volunteer time, modern technology and snacks and beverages at all our office locations.
- Team: we are a diverse and global team of cannabis enthusiasts, energetic innovators, fitness gurus, caring parents, foodies and more, with a collective passion to nurture an inclusive environment that helps you grow and provide people better days with cannabis.
Apply today by submitting your resume through our website. You can expect your application to be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition Team and we will contact you if we see a fit via email.
Think you’re the ideal candidate but you don’t meet all the requirements? Apply anyways. We would love to review your application to see if you’re the right fit or find you an alternative opportunity. Not the role for you? Share this posting with your network while subscribing to our Talent Community to learn more about upcoming opportunities (hot tip: if you are an Aurora employee, take advantage of the employee referral program by sharing this posting with someone in your network! If they are the successful candidate, you may be eligible for a bonus!).
Diversity and inclusion
At Aurora, we are proud to foster and celebrate a diverse community of professionals! We take pride in nurturing an inclusive culture that empowers our people to be their authentic selves, celebrate their differences and love where they work.
Our diverse community combined with our inclusive culture, is what sets us apart in the industry and equips our A-Team with superpowers – and this is why, we encourage all candidates to apply for job opportunities regardless of race, national origin, colour, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital and family status, disability, or any other identifying characteristic. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site or alternate format of job posting) during the recruitment and selection process, please do not hesitate to let our team know!
Health and safety
Our mission at Aurora has always been to improve the health and wellness of our core community. We strive to create a safe, healthy, and inclusive environment for our team and strongly believe introducing a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy will help us achieve this.
As of February 2022, Aurora has introduced a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees and as a condition of employment, all candidates must provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or receive an approved medical or human rights accommodation prior to commencing employment with Aurora. If proof of vaccination is not provided or a request for accommodation is not approved, the offer of employment will be rescinded.
If applicable, Aurora Human Resources will contact you via your email address provided. We do not contact candidates over Facebook or other Social Media apps. You will never be requested to provide confidential information such as banking information or your Social Insurance Number in the interview process.