Laboratory Technical Supervisor
The Diagnostics team is looking for a highly motivated Technical Supervisor (TS) that will have the overall responsibility for the planning and supervision of all operational activities for staff members in the laboratory. They will provide day-to-day oversight and supervision of testing in a high-complexity laboratory. In addition, the supervisor monitors specimen handling and analysis to guarantee the performance of the lab’s testing procedures.
This role reports directly to Sr. Director of Pharmacy Strategy & Process with a dotted line to Lab Director. They will work closely with laboratory staff, clinicians, and research scientists.
Our Lab is located in Dogpatch, San Francisco.
What You'll Do:
- Report directly to the Sr. Director of Pharmacy Strategy & Process on day-to-day operations, processes, and procedures.
- Provide leadership and direction to laboratory staff, including technicians, technologists, and support personnel.
- Oversee the technical aspects of laboratory testing, including method validation, instrument performance, and test result review to ensure consistent high-quality lab production that meets company-level SLAs (e.g., samples/day).
- Collaborate with the Laboratory Director to introduce new testing methodologies and technologies as needed. In partnership with the Laboratory Director, establish procedures for all testing to be conducted in the lab and outline the lab’s performance criteria, including the accuracy and precision of each test.
- Be accessible to testing personnel at all times testing is performed by providing on-site, telephone, or electronic consultation to resolve technical problems.
- Write, review, and update departmental policies and procedures as mandated by accrediting or regulatory standards.
- Disseminate and enforce departmental and institutional standard operating procedures and practices.
- Establish and maintain a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed.
- Work closely with Corporate Quality to conduct internal audits and maintain CAP/CLIA inspection readiness.
- Work closely with Corporate Innovation R&D to conduct internal concordance and stability studies to augment existing test performance data and/or develop net new tests.
- Establish the parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance and ensure that these levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process from the initial receipt of the specimen through sample analysis and reporting of test results.
- Resolve technical problems and ensure that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Serve as the technical lead in the core lab and responsible for the escalation of results that require additional interpretation to the Laboratory Director.
- Ensuring that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
- Evaluate the competency of all testing personnel and ensure that the staff maintain their competency on a monthly or quarterly cadence to perform test procedures and report test results promptly, accurately, and proficiently.
- Participates in presenting case studies or annual industry conferences as needed.
- Be responsible for:
- Selection of test methodology that is appropriate for the clinical use of the test results.
- Verification of the test procedures performed and establishment of the laboratory's test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system.
- Enrollment and participation in an approved proficiency testing program commensurate with the services offered.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- Strong experience with running the operational activities of the lab and its personnel.
- Detailed knowledge of CLIA regulations and other applicable laboratory guidelines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work independently.
- Proven ability to establish work priorities for themselves and guide lab personnel as priorities shift.
- Proficiency with laboratory information systems and data management.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- 4 years of laboratory experience
- Active California Clinical Lab Scientist license to perform high-complexity testing.
One of the following requirements must be met:
- Be a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy licensed to practice medicine or osteopathy in the State in which the laboratory is located; and Be certified in clinical pathology by the American Board of Pathology or the American Osteopathic Board of Pathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification
- Be a doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathy, or doctor of podiatric medicine licensed to practice medicine, osteopathy, or podiatry in the State in which the laboratory is located; and Have at least 1 year of laboratory training or experience, or both, in high complexity testing for the specialty of chemistry
- Have earned a doctoral degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science from an accredited institution; and Have at least 1 year of laboratory training or experience, or both, in high complexity testing within the specialty of chemistry
- Have earned a master's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology from an accredited institution; and Have at least 2 years of laboratory training or experience, or both, in high complexity testing for the specialty of chemistry
- Have earned a bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical or biological science or medical technology from an accredited institution; and Have at least 4 years of laboratory training or experience, or both, in high complexity testing for the specialty of chemistry.
We've Got You Covered:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance + OneMedical membership
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Wellbeing + Learning & Growth reimbursements
- Paid parental leave + Fertility benefits
- Pet insurance
- Student loan refinancing
- Virtual resources for mindfulness, counseling, and fitness
The target base salary for this position ranges from $140,300 to $165,000, in addition to a competitive equity and benefits package (as applicable). When determining compensation, we analyze and carefully consider several factors, including location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. These considerations may cause your compensation to vary.
Ro recognizes the power of in-person collaboration, while supporting the flexibility to work anywhere in the United States. For our Ro’ers in the tri-state (NY) area, you will join us at HQ on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For those outside of the tri-state area, you will be able to join in-person collaborations throughout the year (i.e., during team on-sites).
At Ro, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in healthcare. As an equal opportunity employer, we provide equal opportunity in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and promotion, termination, and any other terms and conditions of employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, familial status, age, disability and/or any other legally protected classification protected by federal, state, or local law.