In this exciting opportunity, the Investment Manager will be an integral part of the Ventures group with emphasis on driving strategic engagement between American Express and its portfolio companies, and will play a key role in the day-to-day, evaluation and execution of transactions including strategic rationale analysis, due diligence, valuation, structuring, and negotiations through to closing.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing investment thesis around strategic areas and conduct market and industry analysis
- Actively involved in the full lifecycle management of deal pipeline including sourcing, evaluating, transacting, and managing investments
- Proactively identifying potential investments, meeting and qualifying startups; will have extensive exposure to and be expected to develop strong relations with the venture and entrepreneurial communities
- Responsible for managing and reporting on the active pipeline
- Evaluating potential target company’s and business cases from strategic, operational and financial valuation perspectives
- Providing key analysis and support for transactions and working closely with internal and external partners to execute investments
- Developing detailed financial models and related valuations
- Preparing and communicating recommendations to investment team
- Responsible for ongoing monitoring and managing relationships with investment companies and the investment portfolio review process
- Responsible for maintaining and managing the Ventures Portfolio database and support Finance / Legal / Compliance teams
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires both analytical, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets
- At least 4-6 years previous experience in fields requiring in-depth financial analysis, deal execution and business development
- Track record of being self-reliant, and the ability to operate in a highly ambiguous and fast-paced environment
- Strategic skills, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong financial, analytical and valuation skills; note a financial modeling assessment will be administered as part of the interview process
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders and to collaborate with others to drive results
- Interest in FinTech and the startup ecosystem
- Bachelor’s degree required
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.