International Tax Lead
The Washington Post is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Tax Lead interested in collaborating with the Tax Manager in maintaining a modern and forward-looking Tax Department. The Tax Lead will report directly to the Tax Manager and will have one direct report.
The purchase of The Washington Post by Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos, has propelled the company into the elite set of US digital publishers. Along with the robust investment and record-breaking growth in digital revenue, traffic, and subscriptions comes the responsibility of accurately and timely complying with increasing tax reporting requirements.
This is a great opportunity to expand your knowledge to different areas of international tax, as well as US Federal and state income tax compliance. You will be collaborating with the Tax Manager and effectively managing the international tax compliance calendar and – in collaboration with the rest of the tax team - will support the annual US Federal and state tax compliance process.
- You are a tax professional with 4+ years of tax background in international direct and indirect compliance and/or research.
- It is preferred, but not required, that you also have experience with US direct tax compliance (Federal and multi-state, partnership preferred).
- It is preferred, but not required, that you have experience with tax protection or tax equalization.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- You have at least one year of independently managing changing priorities. As the business is changing, new tax research and compliance needs arise and require timely input from the Tax Department.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- You have some experience delegating and reviewing preparer’s work and providing review comments.
- You look for opportunities to automate manual processes and drive overall process improvement.
- You are exceptionally organized and thorough. You take ownership of your projects.
- You are excellent at written and oral communication skills and possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- You are proficient in Excel and look for opportunities to automate manual processes.
- You are obsessed with quality, self-review, and excellent customer service.
- You are comfortable with asking questions and capable of having constructive conversations with your team members.
- You are comfortable working and supporting a remote team.
- Maintain compliance of all international tax items by collaborating with other tax team members and third-party providers to timely prepare and file international tax returns, foreign registration filings, managing third-party providers for transfer pricing reporting, preparing reports and calculations for VAT/GST compliance.
- Collaborate with third-party consultants on international compliance and research related items by providing necessary reports, reconciling filings to the GL and third-party reports, auditing filings, answering questions and carrying-out tasks necessary to ensure proper record keeping and compliance.
- Support foreign employees with their tax compliance questions by collaborating with the Tax Manager to manage the internal tax protection program including liaising with third-party providers and other business units, monthly audits of the tax protection employee list and GL, and timely responding to employee queries.
- Support the Tax Manager with foreign Permanent Establishment analysis and applicable registrations by completing relevant research and working with third-party providers to understand potential tax obligations and risks.
- Support the Company’s monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes by collaborating with the Accounting and Budget teams to prepare and review international tax related monthly and quarterly tax accruals and budget.
- Support the Tax Manager and other tax team members on the timely preparation and compliance of the Company’s annual Federal and state income tax returns.
- Meet international tax statutory deadlines by maintaining the international tax calendar.
- Support the Tax Manager with managing all ongoing international projects, including recurring international tax calendar items and ad hoc international matters.
- Improve manual processes by leveraging automation tools such as UI Path Studio X.
- Thoroughly document all international tax processes and decisions with policies and carryforward notes.
- Monitor international tax news for items impacting Company’s international operations.
- Support the Tax Manager with timely responding to international tax notices and inquiries from foreign tax authorities.
- Timely respond to inquiries from other business units.
- Partner with the Tax Manager on new foreign initiatives.
- Support with Treasury responsibilities, including submitting funding requests for foreign tax liabilities.
- 4+ years of relevant international tax compliance and/or research experience.
- Preferred minimum 1 year in a supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s in Accounting (Master’s in Tax preferred) from an accredited college/university.
- Advanced Excel skills (ability to work with large data sets, manage monthly and quarterly VAT reconciliations and other calculation schedules, automate, and simplify processes via advanced Excel capabilities, etc.)
- Preferred CPA License.
- Knowledge of OneSource or GoSystem tax compliance software preferred.
- Natural curiosity to streamlining, automation, process improvement.
- Demonstrated behaviors in problem-solving.
- Strong bias for process improvement.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow?