Human Resources Assistant
Responsible for the clerical/administration function within the HR department. Performs duties directly related to payroll, file administration, benefits, workers compensation, leaves of absence, unemployment and preparing reports associated with these functions. Counsels associates, responds to requests for information and completes the necessary HR related forms and documents. Interacts with Home Office and outside Vendors on a variety of HR related issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Updates and maintains the payroll system, petty cash and creates payroll adjustments/increases as well as completes calendar entries. Transmits payroll in conjunction with Home Office. Prints transaction reports and reconciles. Audits payroll reports and makes corrections as necessary. Stops payment of voided checks. Prepares checks for distribution.
- Updates and maintains the HRIS to include personnel files, profiles, new hire paperwork, bid acceptances and personnel change status. Tracks, maintains and prepares various lists and reports to include new hire evaluations, attendance (sick, vacation and holiday time), seniority and shift information, etc.
- Coordinates the benefits program to include insurance, 401(k), leaves of absences, appointment tracking and follow-up. Completes industrial accident paperwork. Counsels associates on benefit plans and provisions, and assists in completing claims and open enrollment forms.
- Assists in new hire and benefit orientations for bilingual associates and assists with translations for associate relations, benefits and medical services matters. Assists training department with train-the-trainer, ESL and other classes as necessary.
- Responds to associate inquiries regarding HR related issues including employment verifications, clarification of information and follow-up on request documentation. Retrieves drug test results and ensures records and reports are appropriately maintained. Responds to external inquiries regarding a variety of Human Resources issues.
- Responsible for the day to day administration of Workers Compensation, to include case management, drug testing and OSHA logs.
- Ensures proper distribution of the OSHA log, first reports of injury, lost time reports, weekly and monthly accident statistics, industrial accident list, temporary alternative duty list and permanent light duty list.
- Interacts with and maintains working relationships with the company's doctor, health insurance carriers, the general medical community, Worker's Compensation insurance personnel and Home Office Benefits and Risk Management departments.
- Completes employment verifications, processes unemployment information and responds to wage verifications.
- Interacts with Home Office on HR administrative issues and keeps the Human Resources Supervisor informed, as needed.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
Minimum formal education required to perform this job:
High School Diploma or equivalent work experience
Minimum job skills required to perform this job:
Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, Knowledge of basic HR functions (payroll, files and benefits), Bilingualism preferred, Knowledge of MS Excel, MS Word preferred, Knowledge of payroll systems preferred. (Kronos, Oracle)
Minimum experience required to perform this job:
1-2 years related experience
Specific jobs which could prepare an individual for this job:
Previous experience in Human Resources and Payroll department. Experience in administration in business office environment.
We’re reinventing retail and helping people discover that next find that’s going to be their new signature look. You can be a part of their journey to look amazing.
Our inventory is always changing and our approach is continually evolving, which means every day is another chance to Discover Different. In fact, that’s what it’s like throughout the entire TJX family, which includes TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Sierra, and Homesense.
Discover Different also means we embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.