Health Safety & Environmental Specialist
Reporting to the General Manager, the Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist will assist with the implementation, development and maintenance of the company’s health, safety and environmental practices including administering programs that educate employees on, and ensure compliance with all legislation and regulations issued by government agencies.
- Continue to develop and influence a positive company safety culture
- Assist with creating and delivering all safety communications
- Create, regularly review, and maintain safety documentation
- Work closely with management and leadership to drive and strengthen safety culture while resolving safety concerns and continuously improving the safety program.
- Ensure SDSs are up to date, accessible, and training is provided to staff.
- Evaluate the workplace environment and develop safety management practices that identify and define the safety responsibilities of all employees.
- Assist HR through incident investigations and with the management of WCB claims as needed; ensuring timely completion of accident/injury reporting and ensuring modified duties are implemented as prescribed.
- Complete inspections as per safety program, review findings and regularly meet with responsible parties to expedite corrective actions.
- Provide the in-person Safety Orientation portion of new hire training on their first day and follow-up training after that at regular intervals. Review and update safety orientation as needed.
- Establish safety metrics/KPIs. Continually review leading/lagging indicators.
- Maintain PPE program, manage signage around the lab, maintain safety boards with key contacts and required safety documents.
- First Aid Attendants - coordinate training and ensure coverage for all shifts.
- Ensure safety sections within Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) are appropriate.
- Maintain the Emergency Response Plan as needed and lead staff training on evacuation plans, fire alarm drills etc.
- Facilitate monthly JHSC meetings and delegation of tasks to committee members
- Creation of Job Safety Hazard Assessment Library pertaining to each facility and any associated documentation – Safe Work Practices
- Support Aurora’s Covid 19 response team and implement provincial guidelines and regulations as they pertain to employee health and safety.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of provincial and federal health, safety, and Environment guidelines
- Ability to interpret and pragmatically apply the regulations in various conditions of work.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel is required
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Excellent time management & multi-tasking abilities
- Must have excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills
- Detail and results oriented with the ability to multi-task, and adhere to deadlines
- Demonstrate initiative and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Advanced interpersonal skills including communication with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to handle highly confidential information and situations
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- First Aid Certificate
- CRSP or CRST designation would be an asset
- 3-5 years’ experience as a CSO, MSO or other Health and Safety role