Health, Safety, Environment Manager
The Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Manager reports to Site Director/Plant Manager, is a member of the plant Senior Management Staff and is responsible for the overall management and direction of Health, Safety and Environment within the confines of the site. This critical role understands the interworking relationship between safety and productivity, profits, Associate engagement and retention. As a site leader the HSE Manager sets the overall site HSE vision of excellence and ensures overall Mars HSE programs are vital and relevant.
This position is not only accountable for ensuring compliance with national and local HSE laws, regulations and Corporate HSE Standards driving the overall Mars HSE Culture and Vision at the site. This position is responsible for translating and executing the site’s overall HSE strategy (as set by the Global HSE Team), executing and improving on site policies and procedures which are consistent with the Company’s vision, principles and behaviors, driving the HSE Culture of the site, collaborating and supporting on non-HSE site critical issues, and championing external efforts to ensure safety and environmental stewardship in the communities in which Mars operates.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree – Sciences preferred - (ex. engineering, chemistry, safety, IH, etc.)
- Five plus years’ experience in implementing safety, environmental and/or industrial hygiene programs in a manufacturing arena; other technical functions such as engineering or operations managements also considered
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including a high level of comfort developing and delivering training and motivational presentations to all levels of associates
- Strong safety regulatory knowledge and expertise, required including EPA, OSHA and DOT
- Advanced Degree
- Demonstrated leadership in driving continuous improvement in HSE program/system execution in manufacturing environment.
- Experience with hazard recognition, behavioral-based safety, job hazard analysis and Process Hazards Analysis desired
- Basic knowledge of food manufacturing and GMP
- Experience in management of security functions
- Provide leadership to ensure site maintains continuous “audit ready” state of compliance with company and governmental HSE Standards and reduces risk to the business resulting from non-compliance.
- Responsible for the development, deployment and management of all company HSE Standards as they specifically apply to the site. Sets the overall HSE vision of the site.
- Develop and Deploy the site specific HSE strategies, programs and plans to position the site as a best in class organization.
- Develop, coach, recruit and lead site safety, environmental and security team(s) to ensure a robust succession plan of safety and environmental professionals to properly support the site.
- As a member of the Site Leadership Team, shares in the responsibility of creating, owning, and deploying the Hackettstown plant site strategy
- Delivers training and coaching to establish clear understanding by all site Associates on HSE expectations.
- Develops a prioritized, multi-tiered risk-based prioritization plan. Works with site and central resources to execute on plan.
- Accountable for the execution of all site Environmental Permit Compliance, including the site's air permit, Stormwater, Water, Spill Control and Wastewater. Ensures all testing required through permits and company standards are met on time.
- Executes proper management of the sites hazardous waste management activities to ensure 100% compliance with federal, state, local and company regulations and standards.
- Ensures investigation of all HSE related incidents utilizing specific tools to drive to root cause and identify actions to prevent recurrence. Drives completion of recognized corrective actions to prevent incident recurrence are effectively implemented, this includes execution of corrective actions developed from other site incidents.
- Collaborates with Occupational Health and Wellness Management team to ensure effective injury case management process is fully implemented, well understood and functioning as desired.
- Serves as the site level HSE technical expert, providing technical expertise/coaching as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function including capital project review and risks management associated with non-capital modifications.
- Must have the tact, motivational managerial skills to achieve desired results though a manage-by-influence model where direct lines of authority do not exist.
- Manage the overall site HSE Budget to ensure proper fiscal stewardship of department funds. Understands budgetary processes and pressure, but also can articulate and justify HSE spending.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision we make.
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.