As the newest addition to our merry TP journey, the Head of Sustainability role offers an exciting opportunity to develop and drive solutions that will ensure we are undeniably best-in-class when it comes to sustainability. This newly created role will design Who Gives A Crap’s 5-year sustainability vision and pave the roadmap to get there.
Reporting to our VP of Supply Chain and working closely with our Supply Chain and New Product Development teams, our Head of Sustainability will work to embed sustainable thinking into what we make, how we make it and how we deliver it. This will include defining our carbon strategy and a holistic approach to improving our products’ cradle-to-grave footprints.
Sustainability isn’t a single human’s responsibility though! This role will take the lead on bringing together a cross-functional Sustainability “pod” that will work to ensure sustainability remains at the forefront of our thinking and work to define and prioritise the most important initiatives that ladder up to our core values, ambitious goals, and having wider influence on the business community.
Working closely alongside our Creative & Brand, Customer Experience, Growth Marketing and Insights team we’ll step out of the shadows to share the story of our progress externally which we hope delight our customers, further build trust in our brand and inspire others to follow us.
We’re excited to open this role up across Australia and the US (for anyone up for aligning themselves to the PST timezone from across the country).
Your ears have probably been burning as we’ve been talking about this role a lot recently. If you were here over the past month, here’s a bunch of what you would have been working on:
- Drove a strategy session with the Executive Leadership Team to help proactively define our aspirations, identify, develop and get early feedback on our long-term strategies and initiatives.
- Shared a slickkkkk looking presentation to the whole company in our annual virtual meet-up laying out that early-stage vision (mentioned above!) that resulted with our entire team unmuting themselves to cheer enthusiastically over Zoom.
- Partnered with our Supply Chain teams to identify, size, and prioritise our most impactful initiatives to reduce our footprint in our annual plan.
- Worked with our New Products and Insights teams to consider all the sustainability angles as we choose, design, develop and launch new products.
- Met with our customer-facing teams to strategize on the best MO to communicate our progress as well as our Go Big ideas for the future. You also helped answer alllll our community’s needs when it comes to the toughest environmental questions from our customers.
- Eagerly got some heads-down project time that resulted in you identifying and building relationships with external environmental organizations to nurture strong values-aligned partnerships.
- Reviewed our recent LCA results and shared the highlights in our monthly Town Hall that results in a lively QA and all the warm fuzzies in our #kudos channel (awww!).
- Kept your eyes and ears open for other businesses getting sustainability right and brought back your insights and learnings to our team.
- Recorded yourself shaking and waving your way through Zoom with your Sustainability Pod, resulting in a punny and heart-warming meet-up video recap that may or may not have been sung by Celine Dion.
Let’s talk about you
Sustainability is who you are as a human, through and through. You’re so pumped that you’ve been able to carve out a career niche that will pay you for your passion and values! While you have the natural ability to shine the light on sustainable practices in all aspects of your life, you’ve done your best work bringing them to life throughout the consumer goods product lifecycle - maintaining a healthy tension between commerciality and impact.
In addition to this lived experience...
You’re always ten steps ahead
High-Level Strategy is your middle name slash professional nickname, and you’re a natural generator when it comes to pulling together strategy and vision from scratch. You’re able to sink your teeth into the history, details, goals, and intricacies, keep your eyes on the prize, and design for the future.
You put the ‘Us’ in Sustainability
You make complex concepts simple to understand and bring others along for the ride when you’re geeking out. From our product offerings to our content, our people to our audiences, you lean on your background and expertise in CPG sustainability and help level us all up on the sustainability playing field.
You’ve got friends in sustainable places
You use your networks and your natural curiosity to understand emerging trends and what they mean for us. At the same time, you’re sharing your own ideas, fails and (many) wins back into the world to inspire others.
You’re a visionary who ❤️’s critical thinking
You Go Big on ideas and then thrive in the challenge of breaking ideas down into a feasible plans
You give a crap
Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Phew, ok... let’s take a pause. Research suggests that at this point up to 60% of those identifying as women or under-represented folks might have talked themselves out of applying. But here’s the thing, you don’t have to check every box and we are serious about the growth and development of all those who join us. So please - introduce yourself and let us know about you!
Why you should work with us
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger our impact. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s pretty great, but we don’t stop there…
The job is amazingly flexible, something we’re working hard to hold onto even as we grow quickly.
Our benefits are designed to support and be responsive to our healthy, happy and thriving team. On top of what you’d expect from a people-first team like ours, we offer tailored learning & development opportunities, generous paid parental leave, support through our parent and caregivers portal - Circle In, access to our digital mental wellbeing platform - Uprise… did we mention free TP? Oh, and you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
We are passionate about fair and equitable remuneration. We pay competitively and thoughtfully based on your experience, the market and our insights. Just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in.
We’re not the only ones who think that working at Who Gives A Crap is pretty unbeatable. We’re honoured to have been recognised for the second year in a row on BuiltInLA’s “100 Best Places to Work” list, and most recently on their “Best Mid-sized Places to Work” list.
We’re also humbled to have recently received our sixth consecutive Culture Amp engagement score of 90+ and as a certified B Corp, we're committed to the highest standards of social and environmental impact as a profit-for-purpose business.
How we roll
We are actively seeking team members of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds because we believe a diversity of perspectives and experiences is what makes a strong team. The stronger our team the closer we are to our mission – toilets and clean water for all. So come join us! We're looking for people of all genders, races, nationalities, orientations, abilities and disabilities to come sit at our table. We don't care about your income, education or employment history either. Really! The only thing we're a stickler on is species – you have to be a person.