Head of Marketing
Who We Are
The first of its kind boutique fitness experience, SoulCycle revolutionized the fitness industry. Our signature 45-minute indoor cycling class is an immersive and intense mind-body-soul workout, where legendary instructors guide riders through class – helping them lose themselves in the ride, the music, the experience. Taking place in dark, candlelit studios, allowing riders to be grounded in the moment, SoulCycle rides connect our community through the experience and energy of the room.
At SoulCycle, we move people to move the world.
SoulCycle is seeking a Head of Marketing to join the SoulCycle leadership team as the company is at a pivotal point in its journey, rebuilding both the brand and the business (out of the pandemic) and helping to propel Soul into its next phase of growth. The successful candidate will lead, oversee and execute the entire marketing strategy for the business and the brand, developing and recommending integrated communication strategies, campaigns and programs to fulfill brand and ridership (acquisition, engagement and retention) objectives. The Head of Marketing will be an entrepreneurial, super creative and a strategic leader with a proven record of leading teams to deliver market and category defining marketing that drives positive brand heat and awareness, educates target audiences, and drives customer acquisition, engagement, and retention.
Overall Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead, oversee and execute all aspects of the company’s marketing strategy and initiatives, including brand strategy, content, partnerships, media, advertising, experiential, email and social marketing.
- Ensure all components come together to become a fully integrated marketing communications plan that will engage targeted audiences with a powerful and consistent brand voice.
- Have a strong ROI and data driven orientation and clearly understand what is having a measurable impact on the business.
- Partner with the Field operations team to leverage brand marketing calendar and key selling periods to develop consumer promotions that generate excitement, drive in-store traffic and sales.
- Develop and manage the PR strategy (traditional, digital and influencers) from day-to-day programs to high-profile launch campaigns and partnerships.
- Collaborate and foster a true partner relationship between the marketing function and other functional peers with specific emphasis on the Field, Data and Technology teams.
- Provide direction and mentoring to the Marketing team. Establish and enact performance measurement systems, and provide constructive feedback so that rising stars can learn and grow.
- Oversee and lead budgets and ROI targets for Marketing that tie back to people, programs, campaigns and initiatives.
- Design and execute dynamic experiences bringing all aspects of the brand to life through strong content, partnerships, media, advertising campaigns (where budgets allow), etc.
- Establish strategic partnerships and collaborations, and develop word-of-mouth opportunities to increase awareness and build brand equity.
- Establish an industry-leading social presence driving constant engagement with the brand among our consumers. Cohesive Marketing Strategy & Team Leadership
- Create and manage an integrated marketing strategy representing the voice of the brand and connecting to the voice of the customer across all channels.
- Develop and motivate your team to be results driven, agile, and future thinking. Provide hands-on direction and leadership.
- Lead all marketing and creative functions, including brand marketing, digital media, social and editorial, and events & experiences. Keep abreast of industry and marketing trends to help guide and shape future marketing innovation and strategies.
- Partner across the organization with Instructor Talent, Retail, Operations, Technology, and other key partners to drive consistent and compelling delivery of marketing initiatives.
- Drive marketing communications plan development and budget allocation process. Partner with key functional owners to align on marketing strategies and business objectives. Own the end-to-end management of the process including reviewing progress, reporting ROI, reallocating budget as needed, maintaining project timing, and ensuring that tactics align with strategic objectives.
- Lead the Brand/Creative function at SoulCycle and serve as the key stakeholder and champion in clarifying and protecting brand positioning in all marketing content and customer touchpoints.
- Nurture the brand voice and visual identity of SoulCycle, building internal creative resources and/or working with agencies and partners in the creative briefing process to develop assets and content that connect SoulCycle to its community during key touchpoints and customer journey moments. Customer Retention, Pricing, Loyalty, and Membership
- Lead CRM function and loyalty marketing. Create communication strategies that support the unique journeys of each customer segment. Define the messaging that Soul should deliver and how it will resonate with each group.
- Identify and secure relationships with the right strategic brand partners and channels to drive awareness and customer acquisition. Develop acquisition strategies that leverage these external partnerships to attract & retain key customer segments.
- Design, develop, and execute immersive brand and in-field events marketing. Be both analytical and creative in your tactics to amplify these events for broader PR and brand heat. Social Media
- Develop and manage social media strategy that builds on the strength of SoulCycle’s instructor talent but incorporates external influencers in ways that are seasonally relevant. Define how social prospecting, retargeting, and organic will tell specific brand stories to different customer segments.
- Operate within budget to deliver the strongest ROI for plans under your leadership. Evaluate and refine overall priorities of the teams and budgets under your direct management to drive the highest possible impact on the overall business.
- Possess a track record of success in marketing leadership. This should include 10+ years of experience in marketing, brand, or digital media experience.
- The ideal candidate will have a broad marketing background, with expertise in all aspects of marketing communications. S/he/they must have experience with digital marketing and social media.
- Candidates should have experience in the consumer products and/or hospitality/retail and/or entertainment industries.
- Demonstrated experience in building marketing talent with the ability to attract, retain and develop talent.
- Ability to formulate marketing strategies, strategically assess executional options, think creatively and provide detailed follow-through on campaigns
- Proven experience building teams and developing strong organizational relationships
- Must have understanding and enthusiasm for not only the SoulCycle brand and class experience, but for premium, elevated, service driven experiences
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; MBA a plus
- Highly strategic and forward thinking.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative thinker with a scrappy mind-set around marketing.
- Creative with a high level of energy and unrelenting drive to succeed and win.
- Impeccable work ethic, flexible, hands-on and can adapt quickly.
- Collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and possesses professional maturity and industry credibility.
- Superior communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Creative problem-solver and conceptual thinker with an ability to understand and leverage detail-oriented and analytical issues as needed.
- Ability to think deeply and qualitatively about business problems, breaking down issues and presenting solutions.
- Ability to act as a player-coach – be both a leader and hands-on ‘doer’.
- Believes passionately in developing an iconic consumer facing brand.
- Keen understanding of symbiosis of brand and direct marketing.
- High emotional intelligence and self-awareness, which encourages positive energy and passion throughout the organization.
Pay Transparency: Min $250,000- Max $300,000 + bonus