Head of Investment Controllership
The Controllers Organization is responsible for delivering on the foundation of credibility and control of the core financial information leveraged across Finance to communicate with leadership, key business partners and regulators on the enterprise’s actual results, forecast implications and strategic decision making. This work considers legal entity structures, distribution channel and product results as well as how these impact our capital optimization and operating liquidity.
We are a diverse group of professionals experienced in and responsible for accounting, financial reporting, tax, policy and controls, cash operations, corporate finance data and systems management as well as wealth management finance activities. We are seeking engaging professionals with strong communication skills and deep intellectual curiosity to ensure the timely and efficient reporting of results. We not only perform the required activities. We are looked to as business partners who add value by challenging existing operating practices strengthening controls and highlighting trends and insights.
This Head of Investment Controllership will lead a team that manages the investment accounting, product oversight, analysis and reporting for the Company’s investment portfolio, while working closely with Investment Management and the Company’s subsidiaries. This team resides within the Financial Controllership team, a critical team within the Controllers Organization which aspires to be best in class financial stewards for MassMutual.
This is an opportunity for an individual who thrives in a highly dynamic and agile controllership environment to collaborate across teams focused on solid execution and improving outcomes. We are seeking an accounting professional who wants to join a highly motivated team of professionals focused on proactively driving the development and execution of process improvements, meaningful analysis and improved coordination with the business partners for Investment activities.
The impact of the role:
This role provides a lens into some of the most critical and valuable parts of the business that are instrumental to MassMutual’s growth, innovation footprint and financial success.
As a member of the Financial Controllership Team, the incumbent will be involved in shaping the future of the organization, developing tomorrow’s leaders and supporting the on-going growth and analysis within the Investment Controllership team.
- Responsible for leading the team responsible for the accurate accounting and analysis for both routine and non-routine processes for investment matters
- Oversee the financial reporting, accounting and related implications for various non-routine investment transactions, including partnering with Reporting, Accounting Policy, and Investment Management
- Complete executive level presentations on the accounting results of the consolidated portfolio
- Oversee the Company’s asset pricing policies, including selection of pricing vendors and approval of month end asset prices, as Chairman of the Asset Pricing Policy Committee
- Create an environment to engage and motivate team members. Coaches, leads and develops team members, to enhance functional knowledge and leadership skills and expertise
- Establishment and maintenance of internal controls over accounting functions related to investment controllership processes
- Creates an environment whereby the team is inspired, engaged and motivated by identifying opportunities to learn and grow
- Manages priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals while developing efficiencies and established methods in the process
- Thrives in a complex corporate structure and comfortably switch gears and alter course to adapt to changing circumstances
- Plays a key role in leading a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with Investment Management and other Controllers teams
- Uses professional insight to identify and implement accounting improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the team
- Responsible for leading problem solving to improve quality, cycle times, increase efficiencies, improve employee engagement and customer satisfaction.
- Oversees asset classifications to ensure consistency with the Company’s accounting policies
The ideal candidate would have the following skills, experience and competencies:
- 15+ years of work experience with a track record of increasing responsibility
- Significant Knowledge and experience of investments, in the context of the insurance industry.
- Significant knowledge and experience of U.S. GAAP and U.S. Statutory guidance
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or related discipline
- CPA required
- Strong analytical skills: ability to analyze financial data sets and tell the story of the data
- Proven ability to lead and develop a highly effective team
- Experience in overseeing a team responsible for analyzing new investments and accounting guidance to drive appropriate and preferred investment accounting and reporting across the Company and subsidiaries
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships across cross-functional groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in and articulate in an organized and persuasive manner to leadership, staff, regulatory bodies, etc.
- Able to work well in a dynamic and agile environment while leading the team in execution of various priorities and related deliverables
- Intellectual curiosity to continue learning and adding breadth and depth to understanding
Salary Range: $152,100.00-$199,600.00
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.