Head of Innovation in Human Systems R&D
In this role, the Head of Innovation in Human Systems R&D will work collaboratively with multiple Business Strategy and R&D leads within the organization to launch Danaher Beacons focused on Human Systems R&D innovation, and to ensure that IP created through the strategic partnerships is properly advanced to new products.
The Head of Innovation in Human Systems R&D will be responsible: 1) To source, lead and coordinate strategic partnership with key academic centers pioneering in the technologies to improve pipeline success - better prediction of molecular drivers of disease, better biomarkers, toxicology, drug response, and patient selection, 2) Explore technologies enabling high resolution and high throughput measurement of dynamic changes in biology and model systems that mimic “in-vivo” like behavior, 3) Identify data science opportunities to understand multi-dimensional models of biological systems, and 4) develop research plans that could lead to the creation of novel IP.
Boston &/or San Francisco location preferred but can be based out of anywhere in the US
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and coordinate strategic partnership with key academic centers pioneering in the technologies to improve pipeline success - better prediction of molecular drivers of disease, better biomarkers, toxicology, drug response, and patient selection
- Explore technologies enabling high resolution and high throughput measurement of dynamic changes in biology and model systems that mimic “in-vivo” like behavior,
- Identify data science opportunities to understand multi-dimensional models of biological systems
- Develop research plans that could lead to the creation of novel IP.
- Develop an engagement and partnership strategy with innovation hubs, including academic centers, consortiums, and incubators
- In collaboration with the R&D leads in the OpCos and the platform CTOs, develop a framework and standard work procedures to successfully identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement and innovation in our manufacturing workflows
- Cultivate network of external academic KOLs/institutions to access strategic technology/innovative concepts
- Lead and coordinate the development of research plans in collaboration with our academic collaborators, and define a clear milestone-based execution and funding strategy
- Work with DHR R&D/scientific leaders to source emerging and necessary capabilities/concepts
- Work collaboratively with our legal team to develop IP prosecution strategies
- Act as a liaison between Danaher Operating Companies to coordinate inter-OpCo innovation strategies in human systems R&D
- Develop Key Performance Indicators and novel metric models to evaluate the success of innovation strategies and return on investment
- Apply the Danaher Business System to develop and improve standard work around intra- and entrepreneurship
- 10+ years of experience post advanced degree in Innovation Strategies/New Concept Creation & Prototyping/Investment/New Venture creation in academia and industry settings
- Proven experience leveraging and sourcing technologies to improve understanding of human pathobiology in an academic and/or industry setting
- Proven experience in Program Management and Alliance Management processes for internal and external R&D activities
- Understanding of drug discovery and development and experience applying enabling technologies
- Deep understanding of the Life Sciences industry, with focus on multi-omics technology, model biological systems and data analysis
- Proven experience in driving technological due diligence, valuation, and driving licensing deals
- Proven track record in leading, managing, and training teams and driving innovation initiatives for multiple technologies at various stages of development
- Organizational and strategic management skills, including ability to drive go/no-go decisions for research projects with academic partners
- Proven ability to negotiate and execute in/out-licenses and service agreements
- Outstanding conversational, presentation, and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and mobilize people across the organization, and learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Has established networks across scientific/biotech/pharma/academic communities and has knowledge of the leading innovation ecosystems
- Boston &/or San Francisco location preferred but can be based out of anywhere in the US
Advanced degree in Science, Engineering or Medicine (Ph.D. or M.D.); MBA a plus
Varies and can be up to 50%; Candidate required to travel without restrictions domestically and internationally as needed.
When you join us, you’ll also be joining Danaher’s global organization, where 80,000 people wake up every day determined to help our customers win. As an associate, you’ll try new things, work hard, and advance your skills with guidance from dedicated leaders, all with the support of powerful Danaher Business System tools and the stability of a tested organization.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. We value diversity and the existence of similarities and differences, both visible and not, found in our workforce, workplace and throughout the markets we serve. Our associates, customers and shareholders contribute unique and different perspectives as a result of these diverse attributes.
The EEO posters are available here.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
If you’ve ever wondered what’s within you, there’s no better time to find out.