Head of Industrial Design
At YETI, we believe that time spent outdoors matters more than ever and our gear can make that time extraordinary. When you work here, you’ll have the opportunity to create exceptional, meaningful work and problem solve with innovative team members by your side. Together, you’ll help our customers get the high-quality gear they need to make the most of their adventures. We are BUILT FOR THE WILD™.
The Head of Industrial Design reports to the Vice President of R&D and leads the growing ID team. This is a leadership role and will be responsible for setting the design direction, guiding and mentoring the design team, and helping to establish the strategic direction of the R&D organization. This key role works closely with Product Management and Engineering teams to develop new products and shape the future of the company.
You are a passionate design professional with a proven track record of crafting premium products and leading world-class teams. You thrive in fast-paced environments with entrepreneurial DNA and are comfortable charting new territory. Your creative vision and design talent allow you to turn ideas into thoughtful products. You can leverage your passion for product and leadership experience to guide the design function and seamlessly collaborate with your partners within the organization.
- Be the expert voice of design at the company to create authentic YETI product experiences consistently and uncompromisingly
- Be a thought-leader to drive innovative new product concepts
- Lead industrial design activities for YETI hard goods via a consistent, thoughtful design language
- Direct and guide prototyping needs and plans for design review
- Collaborate with Engineering and prototyping resources to accomplish builds
- Proactively prioritize and manage department workload
- Direct and influence the ID team
- Ensure timely completion of team deliverables
- Develop ID staff and department capabilities
- Develop an environment that supports the creative process and truly puts the product first
- Set the standard for the team by leading by example in the following areas: attitude, maturity, productivity, collaboration, and communication
- Collaborate and influence NPD partners across Marketing, Engineering, R&D, and Executives
- Respectfully provide feedback and present viewpoint of product designs with stakeholders
Qualifications and Attributes:
- At least 15 years of progressive experience in Product Design with 8 years of experience leading teams
- MA in Industrial Design, Product Design or equivalent work experience
- Must have experience leading and developing design staff
- Experience in designing premium products, preferably within the Outdoor industry
- Demonstrated experience working across hard goods
- Proven track record of designing world-class and market successful products
- Demonstrated experience collaborating cross-functionally
- Experience with designing and facilitating cross functional exercises / workshops (e.g., ideation sessions, design sessions)
- Advanced 3D visualization skills via SolidWorks, Rhino, KeyShot, etc.
- Inspiring 2D skills via sketching, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.