Head of Customer Technology
Patagonia is in business to save our home planet and technology has become a key enabler for this mission. To accelerate our progress, we’re transforming the role of technology at Patagonia and the Head of Customer Technology will serve a leadership role in this initiative and beyond.
We are looking for a purpose driven leader who can contribute to and shape business strategy, then design and deliver the technology capabilities to enable it. In this role you will own the technology strategy and delivery for Patagonia’s Direct To Customer functions (ecommerce, customer experience, and retail), and Wholesale. This role will have a key perspective across all of Patagonia’s sales and customer engagement channels.
You will create a global technology roadmap and architecture, gain alignment, and then lead cross functional teams to enable it. Success will also require you to build and maintain strategic relationships between technology and functional stakeholders, up to and including the Patagonia Leadership Team.
What You’ll Do
- Create a comprehensive strategy for direct to customer & wholesale technology, ensuring alignment with Patagonia business objectives & purpose while considering the end-to-end customer experience
- Own multi-year roadmaps and budgets for DTC & wholesale technology, aligning with key stakeholders
- In partnership with stakeholders, initiate and lead cross-functional Agile Product teams
- Implement best in class tech stack and manage global DTC & wholesale technology architecture
- Identify and deliver innovation opportunities through customer centricity
- Partner with stakeholders on data privacy, data compliance and integrity initiatives
- Lead, inspire and develop a diverse team
- Work with global teams & stakeholders, building relationships and collaboration
Who You Are
- Purpose Driven: cares deeply about saving our home planet and driving impact through technology
- Passionate Leader: builds strong & diverse teams, develops people, grows trusted relationships
- Innovative: proven skill at problem-solving and thinking outside of the box
- Strategic: acts as a thought leader, able to think big picture and set direction accordingly
- Strong Communicator: excellent communication and presentation skills
- Emotionally intelligent: high level of self-awareness, empathy, and interpersonal skills
Experience You Bring
- 10+ years’ experience in information technology or equivalent, with at least 5+ years of leadership roles
- Proven experience building, leading and developing diverse & inclusive teams
- Deep experience designing and delivering customer centric technology solutions
- Experience leading technology products that deliver business outcomes, utilizing design thinking approaches
- Advanced knowledge of key business functions including e-commerce, retail, CX, wholesale supply chain, operations, etc
- Working knowledge of key technologies such as B2B & B2C ecommerce platforms, martech, customer data platforms, web analytics, PIM, CRM, order management, tag management, payment processing, etc
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to influence across all levels of an organization (incl. Board & C-suite) without formal authority
- Excellent written and oral communications skills (experience building, evaluating, and clearly presenting complex business models is critical)
- Significant strategy development and management experience
- Must be able to manage a complex, diverse, and dynamic workload
Key Competencies for Success
- Customer Centricity: Brings deep focus and understanding of the customer experience and uses design thinking and journey mapping techniques to ensure we solve the right problems.
- Stakeholder Management: Can quickly understand the needs and desires of key stakeholders, works to align and shape expectations, and ensures partnership & clarity throughout delivery.
- Data Analysis and Insight: Can identify and analyze causal links or relationships across data/information and derive insights that lead to better decision-making and improved business performance/impact.
- Architecture Design: Can develop and apply expertise to help solve complex technical problems and ensure optimal architecture solutions are implemented, while maintaining alignment within the needs of both the business and IT strategies.
- Solution Deployment: Can use predefined general standards of practice, combined with internal capabilities and external resources, to systematically organize and carry out the implementation of solutions.
- Service Delivery: Can consistently meet all established service level agreements, resulting in the delivery of high value outcomes for IT’s business partners.
- Problem Management: Can identify the root cause of issues and resolve incidents through both proactive and reactive approaches, resulting in minimized negative impact to the business.
- Solutions Proposal Development: Can develop technical proposals that meet business partner requirements and align with IT’s service portfolio.
- Embedding Culture: Can establish and embed a culture of customer centricity, collaboration, learning, and servant leadership through formal and informal leadership actions, behaviors and decisions.
Hiring Range: $225,000 – 265,000
Pay Range: $194,000 - $292,000
At Patagonia, pay ranges are assigned to a job based on the location specific market median of similar jobs according to 3rd party salary benchmark surveys. Individual pay within that range can vary for several reasons including skills/capabilities, experience, and available budget.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive, inclusive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Patagonia requires all employees who enter a Patagonia owned or operated facility or who physically interact with others as part of their job duties to demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.