Head of Accounting/ Controller
WHO ARE WE?
The Accounting team is made up of smart, driven, dog-loving accountants who handle the core accounting responsibilities at BARK. These include closing the general ledger monthly and producing GAAP Financials. As the Controller you will report to the CFO and will serve as a collaborative member of the finance team, working closely with the entire organization to realize BARKS full potential and growth plans.. You'll encounter daily challenges that will sharpen your problem solving skills and tap into your creativity in order to help the team become more efficient and effective. We are a very collaborative team, working cross-functionally across BARK. What we take seriously: having fun, working hard, and playing with dogs (obviously).
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a dog obsessed and highly motivated individual to lead our Accounting function through our next phase of growth and scale. This person will be experienced in driving both the strategic direction of the accounting function, while also being able to roll up their sleeves and dive into the details when necessary. They will be a strong collaborator and people manager and be seen as a trusted and knowledgeable leader dedicated to growing a first class Accounting team to help BARK reach our full potential.
- Direct and oversee the company’s accounting function, which includes accounting operations, financial reporting, accounting policy, and compliance, revenue operations, inventory, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and tax preparation.
- Develop and elevate the accounting foundation with appropriate people, systems, and processes that will build a scalable organization and drive business growth efficiently.
- Serve as a strategic business partner cross functionally, providing data and insights to drive growth,
- Lead the monthly, quarterly, and annual external and internal financial close and reporting processes.
- Lead and direct the accounting team in the development, implementation, and oversight of company-wide accounting policies and controls consistent with SEC, US GAAP, and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Develop, implement, and maintain systems, procedures, and policies to support public filings, such as preparing the 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and proxy filings.
- Serve as the principal liaison with external auditors to ensure a smooth annual audit and quarterly financial statement reviews.
- Develop and maintain a well documented system of accounting policies and procedures; provide subject matter expertise on the implementation of accounting policies and the accounting for complex transactions.
- Work cross functionally with various teams to automate manual accounting processes and reporting to ensure efficient and accurate flow of information between teams, particularly people and legal teams.
- Partner with the CFO to determine accounting implications for all material business decisions.
- Communicate pending changes in accounting rules and regulations to senior management which carry financial or operations implications.
- Manage and be a key interface with the Audit Committee; present key accounting issues and topics to the Audit Committee with the CFO each quarter.
- In partnership with the executive team, play a critical role in M&A target evaluation, acquisition, and integration.
- Work closely with our SOC department developing and overseeing the SOX controls and ensuring compliance with suck controls across the organization.
- Strategically build a globally distributed, high performing team.
- Partners with FP&A to prepare quarterly earnings releases and support/advise on the compilation of investor call preparation materials, transcripts, and Q&A.
- Build and maintain business relationships with key vendors and contractors such as external auditors, financial printers, valuation specialists, third-party finance statement preparers, and various software providers.
- CPA certification strongly preferred
- 15+ years of experience in accounting/finance, ideally in an ecommerce or consumer facing company
- 5+ years of public accounting experience required, preferably at top 4 firm
- 5+ years of experience in leadership/managerial role at a public company
- A track record of success leading accounting organizations through significant growth in terms of revenue scale.
- Experience leading through transformational change in the controllership function including acquisition integration, ERP system implementation, and internal control processes and procedure execution.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, regulators, SOX compliance and related issues.
- Proven track record of building teams, and attracting and developing high-performing talent.
- International accounting experience is a strong plus.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Entrepreneurial and results-oriented with a high-level of executive presence, high energy, self motivated, and hands on.
- Collaborative and proactive by nature with strong cross-functional and integrative organizational skills.
- Strong communicator who can take complex accounting topics and make them simple and relevant for business and operational leaders.
- The ability to work collaboratively with all levels in the organization.
- A strategic thinker regarding competitive strategy, business models, and financial management. Drives performance and continuous improvement using an analytic and metrics based approach.
- A continuous process improvement mindset.
- Ability to present to senior management on key strategic initiatives including acquisitions, new business models, and revenue streams.
- Must love dogs!
This position is a full-time exempt position. It is located on-site at our office in New York City. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.