Caltech's Office of Strategic Communications (OSC) advances the Institute's goals by promoting, protecting, and extending its reputation. We are responsible for unifying and strengthening the Institute's voice, both by our own activities and by equipping and empowering organizations across campus with messaging, materials, and tools to help them extend the Institute's reach and influence through their own work.
As a member of the Institute Communications and Special Projects team, the Graphic Designer must be someone who is visually creative, organized, and technically savvy. Reporting to the Art Director, the Graphic Designer should have a broad knowledge of all aspects of design, with an emphasis on digital design and a focus on managing the design and maintenance of publications (both digital and print), newsletters, emails, presentations, digital advertising, and websites; creating a design layout for major philanthropic funding proposals; managing the Institute's visual brand and identity; and providing project management expertise. Specific projects within the Graphic Designer's purview may include the Caltech Today webpage, the Ion Caltech and Caltech Weekly digital newsletters, materials to support the Caltech Watson Lectures and CaltechLive! events, the Caltech Science Exchange, Caltech magazine, and more.
The successful candidate will be able to work collaboratively with team members in OSC as well as partner closely with other individuals and groups across campus. The ability to adeptly manage feedback from multiple stakeholders while also maintaining a strong artistic vision and having the ability to communicate that vision is critical.
Essential Job Duties
- Work with the art director and writers, editors, communications specialists, and researchers to conceptualize, design, and lay out visuals and accompanying text in print and digital publications, newsletters, digital marketing and advertising media, presentations, invitations, and event materials for Institute lectures, activities, and public arts programs, and others, as needed.
- Oversee digital and print layout and design projects across platforms, with a particular focus on and understanding for how audiences may interact with content depending on the platform.
- Design principal gift proposals and case materials.
- Manage all aspects of the development and design of visual assets for Institute publications, both print and digital, including creating the assets and/or identifying and assigning vendors to create illustrations, photographs, slideshows, infographics, charts, graphs, PowerPoints, video/animations, and other visual assets to enhance presentation of the Institute.
- Serve as the primary liaison to campus communicators on implementing and maintaining Caltech’s visual identity, responding to questions on design standards, aesthetics, and efficacy of their projects.
- Provide design support for one-offs from the leadership which may include print work, PowerPoints, digital and production work as needed.
- Provide assistance with photography, videography, and photo management.
- Assist with production work (Photoshop, Illustrator) as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Four or more years of experience in graphic design with an emphasis on experience in and understanding of best practices in digital design.
- A strong design portfolio, showing a clean and modern design aesthetic, typographic skills, and digital design expertise.
- Familiarity with web design principles and content management systems (specifically Wagtail, WordPress, Squarespace).
- Proficiency in industry-standard design tools and software (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Strong production skills in Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Familiarity with Mailchimp, PowerPoint and MS Word.
- Knowledge of user-centered design thinking methodologies.
- Experience with brand design and management.
- Ability to translate a vision or concept into a variety of platforms, to follow creative direction and conceptualize ideas.
- An understanding of visual storytelling.
- Initiative to do research and problem-solve.
- A complete understanding of the printing process.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively and manage multiple projects.
- Awareness of industry trends in digital and print design.
- An appreciation for science and the wonders of the world.
- Photography, videography, illustration skills a big plus.
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio Samples or Link to Portfolio.
COVID-19 Vaccine Required for All Employees
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). Upon eligibility, employees are required to receive the COVID-19 booster as part of the vaccine mandate. As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at email@example.com.